starting strength gym

Thread: Clean cues

Default Clean cues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am cleaning full on a regular basis now, no powers. The one thing holding me back from hitting a new clean PR is getting under the bar faster and catching it lower. My last clean max attempt at 255, the bar got all the way up to just below my chest - plenty high to even power it, but I missed it.

Any cues/ideas to practice catching the bar lower? Or is this just something that comes with time?

The goal is not to catch the bar as low as possible, but as high as possible. I'm confused by your question. The reason you must do a full clean is because you cannot make the bar go any higher. The best thing to do for your clean is to get your squat to 500 lbs and your deadlift to 600, while still working on the cleans.

i phrased this incorrectly. I am not getting under 255 fast enough to catch it despite pulling it high enough for perhaps a low power clean or a full clean. So I am trying to figure out how to get under it faster

Keep getting stronger. Also, you have to find a way to reverse direction as quickly as you can. It may help for you to think of pulling yourself under the bar as soon as your feet break contact.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    The one thing holding me back from hitting a new clean PR is getting under the bar faster and catching it lower. My last clean max attempt at 255, the bar got all the way up to just below my chest - plenty high to even power it, but I missed it.
    Do you mean you went for it and missed or that you just stood around and missed it for no reason?

You have to commit to going under every pull, every time.

Jump to the bottom.

Bet/compete against someone.

Get more comfortable at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Do you mean you went for it and missed or that you just stood around and missed it for no reason?
    I honestly think this is kind of common at near max weights. I hit 209 awhile back but missed 214 a week later doing pretty much what the OP is describing. I get so amped up for the pull I completely bail on the catch. My 214 fail was damn near to the bottom of my ribcage but mentally I was so focused on the pull I just pretty much slammed it back down as there was no way I was getting under it.

So I'm really inclined to agree with Tom. Do cleans while you get stronger...once you're pulling 600 I'd have to assume that 255 would fly up pretty damn fast. I didn't even clean for a few months, added 70lbs to my DL and came back and hit a 25lb clean PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I honestly think this is kind of common at near max weights.
    Anyone who does this at heavy weights has a serious, enormous, complete, fuckup flaw in their lift. Not going under the bar is the equivalent of not squatting to depth. This doesn't mean you never miss, but it does mean that you always move under the bar. Clarking is an extremely bad habit.

Now, maybe tweaky will get back to specify what is happening with his particular situation.

Well it FELT like I went for it and missed, but I have a snapshot of the top of my pull that proves otherwise. Trying to get the image to load from my phone.

Sorry for the second post... I think I got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Sorry for the second post... I think I got it.
    You cannot attach images to the forum. Post it on a image hosting site and link here. Video is better.