starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check follow up

Default Squat Check follow up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks all for previous help. I think I've implemented the critiques. Namely nipples to the floor, slightly wider stance, and back angle/stay in hips.
    See below:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gX070Drvr4

I restarted LP at 185 and have increased 10 lbs/workout.

Previous thread:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...uat-check.html

This still looks like a high bar squat. Lean over more. Don't let your knees go so far forward. Drive you butt up, don't lift the chest.

Okay, cool. I feel like I'm going to fall over and/or have weight on my toes when I lead back with my hips and lean over farther and it is also harder (read: I've been doing it wrong for so long, I need to relearn motor patterns and strengthen posterior chain more, so it is comfortable and hurts less). Thoughts?

When you say it looks like a high bar squat, do you mean:
    - Bar is in correct position but my mechanics are off?
    - Bar physically too high on my back causing me to have mechanical issues?

Would it be wise to reset back to 185ish if I am having issue with leaning forward, or is it better to muscle it out at somewhere closer to 255. Right now with incorrect form 255 is pretty easy, but I'm not sure how that would be if I perform the movement correctly.

Thanks Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by JimtheConquerer View Post
    Okay, cool. I feel like I'm going to fall over and/or have weight on my toes when I lead back with my hips and lean over farther and it is also harder (read: I've been doing it wrong for so long, I need to relearn motor patterns and strengthen posterior chain more, so it is comfortable and hurts less). Thoughts?
    If you think squats are ever going to feel good, I have some unfortunate news for you.

When you say it looks like a high bar squat, do you mean:
    - Bar is in correct position but my mechanics are off?
    - Bar physically too high on my back causing me to have mechanical issues?
    The former.

Would it be wise to reset back to 185ish if I am having issue with leaning forward, or is it better to muscle it out at somewhere closer to 255. Right now with incorrect form 255 is pretty easy, but I'm not sure how that would be if I perform the movement correctly.
    I cannot think of a reason to deload if the weight feels reasonably light. Just try squatting differently and see how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If you think squats are ever going to feel good, I have some unfortunate news for you.
    Touche...that is a fair point.

I am working on form at 225 lately, which now feels pretty heavy with the new form. The wife said it doesn't look as bad as I think it does, so that is something ;-)

Thanks so much for the help. I will post something in a week or so to see if I am headed in the correct direction.

I think I'm getting closer. Might need to lean over some more, but my toes aren't tracking as far forward as they are in previous videos (I think).
    Also, I'm consciously thinking hip drive/stay in the hips, and I don't think they are sliding forward as much, however as a motor moron and a guy who watches the youtube videos posted in this forum, I am definitely finding I don't notice the things everyone else does ;-)

Any critique you can provide is greatly appreciated!

https://youtu.be/k3i7O8sWIFM

starting strength coach development program
    You are on your toes, too far forward with your knees, and not really driving up with your hips. Take a little wider stance. Sit back and think "heels."