starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is work set 3 at 165 lbs. My previous best is 170, working my way back up after multiple deloads for form and about a month of sparse training. My focus has been on keeping my upper back tight and my knees out. Feedback much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/pQXy9SkbaBg

First, credit for grinding through some tough reps there man. That was pretty gutsy.

This is one of those times where you really need a lot of help with your squat, and I strongly recommend you go find a Starting Strength coach to work with in person. This is going to be very difficult to help over the internet. Gaining a whole bunch of weight is in order, too.

Wow, I knew my squat wasn't great, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Thanks for the encouragement on the front end. I have an appointment for coaching at Five x 3 in Baltimore at the end of next month when I'll be in the area on business, and I'm working on the weight gain. Up about 12 pounds since I started in March. Any advice at all about what to do with the squat between now and then?

I'm glad to hear you'll be going to see Emily and Diego in Baltimore. This will be a very productive session that will help you a lot.

For now:
    Before you squat: Put on proper shorts: stretchy, and above the knee.

In your set up: Get your hands on the bar, don't put it in the base of your palm where your fingers can't get around it, and don't jack up your elbows higher than you need to to create a solid shelf.

In your squat: Commit to going deep every time (as the set goes on, your depth becomes iffy), and to get up, drive your hips UP. Don't drive your hips back, and don't lift your chest. Drive your hips UP and keep driving them up the whole way.

One of the reasons I say you really need in person coaching is that this last point about driving your hips up, the most central to the performance of the squat itself, will be difficult for you to get right on your own, given your inability to really control your torso. You need someone to teach you how to brace your midsection and keep your back in extension, so your torso becomes a rigid, force-transmitting segment. A re-read of the relevant sections of the book is in order, but you will probably get more out of the in person session than anything else until then.

Thanks much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it.