starting strength gym

Thread: Question about Deadlift Mid-Foot: 1 inch

Default Question about Deadlift Mid-Foot: 1 inch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, coaches! I'm Chang Hyeon from South Korea.

I read all the threads about deadlift from 1 to 125 pages.
    I saw so many forms and coaches' comments, but many trainees who learn SS only on textbook were wrong with their midfoot. Maybe it is due to different standard of 1 inch from shins(because shins are movable). And I've thought I might be too.

A few weeks ago, Tom said my deadlift form is good(http://startingstrength.com/resource...orm-check.html), but I think he didn't saw my legs clearly because I was wearing dark pants.

I used to use form in first image, but using second form feels better and I think it is more similar with Tom's(third image. If using Tom's picture is rude, I apologize.).

Thanks for your time coaches!

p.s. Maybe the most repeatedly spoken word by coaches is "squeeze up".

It's a little hard to say definitively from this angle, but the first one looks more correct. The bar should be one inch from your shins when you're standing straight up. That's the first thing you do - put your shins 1 inch from the bar. If you do that right and then DON'T MOVE THE BAR, everything else will be where it should be when you squeeze your chest up in step 4.

Everyone wants to be like Comrade Campitelli, but it's a mistake to compare your set up to his because a) Campitelli cannot be equalled in any way, one can only hope to approximate his greatness and b) he's shaped differently than you.

My last point. When The Campitelli says your form is good. Just go with that. Don't question. He is The Campitelli.

This might be a silly question but nontheless.

I found it very unnatural for me to put the shins one inch from the bar. it just didnt looked like the middle of the foot (yeah i know, the whole foot) so i meassured my feet and the distance from my shins to the middle with a meassuring tape. For me, the middle of the foot is about 2 inches away from the shins. So should i put the shins 2 inches away from the bar or am i missing something? I do feel stronger if i put the bar a bit further away and i also have less back problems.
    Could that be the reason?

Thanks

The 1 inch rule doesn't hold fast for absolutely everybody, does it? I'm rather large and 1 inch gives me only the slightest hint of quad off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraspor View Post
    This might be a silly question but nontheless.

I found it very unnatural for me to put the shins one inch from the bar. it just didnt looked like the middle of the foot (yeah i know, the whole foot) so i meassured my feet and the distance from my shins to the middle with a meassuring tape. For me, the middle of the foot is about 2 inches away from the shins.
    It is highly unlikely that you were able to measure this accurately given that you would need to be standing up straight to really pull this off and the measurement of where your shin is in relation to the midfoot would have to be done at the height of the bar with 20 kg plates on it. Also remember that a bar is about 28 to 29 mm in diameter. The center of the bar is 14 to 14.5 mm from the edge.

So should i put the shins 2 inches away from the bar or am i missing something?
    You should not put the bar 2-inches away from your shins.

I do feel stronger if i put the bar a bit further away and i also have less back problems.
    Could that be the reason?
    Nope. The more likely reason is that you have not yet learned to properly deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    The 1 inch rule doesn't hold fast for absolutely everybody, does it? I'm rather large and 1 inch gives me only the slightest hint of quad off the floor.
    It holds for everyone we've ever looked at from really small feet to really big feet. Differing anthropometries result in differing angles, but if you are doing a stiff legged deadlift, chances are good you are rocking on to your toes instead of bending your knees to bring your shins to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Everyone wants to be like Comrade Campitelli, but it's a mistake to compare your set up to his because a) Campitelli cannot be equalled in any way, one can only hope to approximate his greatness and b) he's shaped differently than you.
    This was so damn funny.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    It is highly unlikely that you were able to measure this accurately given that you would need to be standing up straight to really pull this off and the measurement of where your shin is in relation to the midfoot would have to be done at the height of the bar with 20 kg plates on it. Also remember that a bar is about 28 to 29 mm in diameter. The center of the bar is 14 to 14.5 mm from the edge.

You should not put the bar 2-inches away from your shins.

Nope. The more likely reason is that you have not yet learned to properly deadlift.
    Yeah of course its rather difficult to meassure that. Could indeed been a wrong meassurement. No doubt about that.
    Thanks for your answer. I'll work harder to get myself into position.