starting strength gym

Thread: Squat formcheck

Default Squat formcheck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches,

Below are two sets at 115kg, from two different angles:

Hit the safety on the second rep of the first set but it went up okay. I fear I may be a little high in general though.

Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!

Nice shirt, Simen.

Get your hands on the bar. For some reason a lot of people make this mistake and think that because you don't wrap your thumb around it, that the bar isn't supposed to be in your hands. It is. Position it higher in your hands so you can get your fingers around the bar and help stabilize it.

You have a bit of knee slide that causes some forward bar path issues. Get your knee position set a little sooner, and then make the rest of the way to depth with your hips. On the way up, make sure to stay in your hips; drive them up the whole way, don't get out of your hips part way through your ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Nice shirt, Simen.
    Haha, thanks.

Get your hands on the bar. For some reason a lot of people make this mistake and think that because you don't wrap your thumb around it, that the bar isn't supposed to be in your hands. It is. Position it higher in your hands so you can get your fingers around the bar and help stabilize it.
    Yeah, I guess I've just been overcompensating for a fear of tendonitis. Tried to keep it more in my fingers now, it felt more stable but also a little more difficult to keep the wrists straight. Will continue to work on it.

You have a bit of knee slide that causes some forward bar path issues. Get your knee position set a little sooner, and then make the rest of the way to depth with your hips. On the way up, make sure to stay in your hips; drive them up the whole way, don't get out of your hips part way through your ascent.
    Tried to set the knees earlier and make depth with the hips last night and damn, that felt better! Been struggling with fixing the kneeslide but that way of thinking really helped, even though there still might be some. It also made it a little easier to hit proper depth. Here is the vid at 120kg:

It seems like I still get out of my hips too early, especially on the last rep. There are also some GM tendencies when it gets heavy and a little wobbliness in the hole. But it felt better than last time at least.

Thanks so much for the tips Wolf! I really appreciate all the time you guys spend giving out free advice, I learn so much from reading this forum.

Good work. Squats are much better overall. Knee slide is definitely much diminished; still some work to do there but a significant improvement and your squat is better for it. Your own observation is correct about hips though, you do still tend to get out of them too early. Think about it like the bar is resting on your hips instead of your shoulders and drive them up the whole way. Obviously this is a cue, doing so literally would lead to a major good morning, but I'm going to trust that you're smart enough to figure out how to implement the cue. Start with it on your warm-up sets so it's not a new thing with heavy weight.