starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is 390 lbs. Besides kicking the bar forward with my shins on first rep, any feedback appreciated. SS setup as described is still awkward for me for some reason. I do notice more back rounding on reps 4 & 5, no discomfort.

Deadlift - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    SS setup as described is still awkward for me for some reason.
    That's an odd thing to say, considering you're not doing the SS setup. You must grab hold of the bar first, so your arms can prevent your shins from kicking the bar forward as they do here. Only then, bend your knees, slowly and carefully, till your shins just touch the bar, but do not move it. That would be one part of the SS setup that you're not doing. Your subsequent reps also do not start with you in the standard pulling position and the bar right over mid foot. You tend to have your hips a little low and the bar a bit forward.

This is the SS Setup, as a reminder: http://startingstrength.com/resource...lls-floor.html

Another part would be step 4, squeeze your chest up. Your back never gets into a good, full extension on this set. Squeeze up. Squeeze harder. Then squeeze some more.

Finally, hold your breath the entire rep. Until the bar is back down on the ground, since the top is not the end of the rep. Breathing out at the top, losing your air there, is losing support when you're still under load.

Thanks for the feedback. Will work on the setup as described. My perception with the SS setup is that my hips are too high at the start and that squeezing the chest up results in my hips lowering. Just need to try and break old habits. Never noticed the breathing tip. Appreciate the details.