starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check at 305#, please

Default Squat form check at 305#, please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First, vital stats: 54, 5'10", 192 lbs. Been working on SS for just under a year.

I was fairly pleased with my squats recently, getting back up to my high point of 305# last week. I hit 305 for the first time in May then had a three week family vacation where I was only able to fit in one real workout. I restarted regular workouts at 295 and slowly worked back up. I felt good, and looking in the mirror during my light warm-up sets, I thought my form was pretty good: Knees pushed out, reaching their position when I was about halfway down and staying there, sitting back, leaning forward, decent depth, using the hips. Obviously can't look at a mirror while under a heavy load, so I was hoping my form was staying roughly the same. Then about a week ago I started feeling some discomfort around and behind my right kneecap after my workouts. This led me to believe I was having a form issue so I videoed my last work set of today's workout and of course I don't look as good as I thought. Knees are out but a bit wobbly and going too far forward, questionable depth, loss of some hip drive. What else am I doing wrong and how do I fix it (other than TUBOW, of course)? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/UNlsoEA2LP0

-RJP

Your depth is not questionable. Every one of your squats is definitely high. You need a slightly wider stance. You must drive your knees out much more. This will likely get you proper depth. The bar is likely a little too low on your back. You need some weightlifting shoes. Many of your reps are on your toes. With squishy shoes, this is hard to fight.

Thanks Tom. I'll make those adjustments as best I can and post another video.

-RJP

Here's the third work set from my workout this afternoon. Slightly wider stance and thinking more about pushing knees out. There is still some wobble in the knees here and there. Does that mean I need to push out harder? The bar position doesn't look too different, but I did consciously place it higher on my back. I think my depth is now approaching what could be called "questionable" but my shoes are still squishy, something I hope to take care of fairly soon.

Thanks again for your insights.

https://youtu.be/3S-vrAJPUnk

-RJP

You are getting loose at the bottom and allowing your knees to come both in and forward. Don't do that. Once you have some shoes, can you get me a video from the rear oblique?

Yup, I definitely see that with the knees. However, I can't quite picture what is meant by being "loose at the bottom". Is it the not pushing the knees out or is there an issue with back position, or something else?
    I'll get that rear oblique as soon as I can.

This is a valuable service that you and the rest of the coaches are providing. Your comments are much appreciated.

-Rob

Tom,

During my workout today, I think I figured out what you meant by being loose at the bottom. I really concentrated on pushing the knees out the whole time and really did feel tighter overall at the bottom. I expect to feel some extra soreness tomorrow.

-Rob

I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Me too.

Your comments gave me that last nudge I needed to buy a pair of shoes, which are now on order and should be here in a few days (Adidas Powerlift 2.0, good deal from Dick's, couldn't justify the higher priced Nikes or Reeboks). I'm looking forward to being a bit more stable in the hole. I assume my knee motion could be a cause of the slight pain I'm feeling around my right knee cap (most noticeable when going down stairs) and once I get steadier in my squats, it should clear up.

Thanks again.

-Rob

starting strength coach development program
    Irritation in the patellar ligament and/or quad tendon can even occur in people who squat well. However, cleaning up your technique is the first step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast