starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches. I've reset recently and have been working on proper knee and shank placement. Could I get your feedback please? This is 3rd workset @ 257 lbs.

Thank you for you time!

https://youtu.be/etXISbnRLzk

The basics are ok here, but a few things to improve:
    1. You're bending knees first; hips and knees should 'break' together, at the same time.
    2. A bit of knee slide at the bottom. Nothing awful, but you could have your knee position set a bit sooner.
    3. Stand all the way up at the top. Looks like you're not quite finishing the lockout at the top.

Thank you, coach.

I couldn't get a vid today but I did work on the knees/hips break at same time. I think that helped with the knee slide too. I'll try to get a vid Friday.

Re. failing to lockout, do you mean hips, or knees, or something else. For my own education can you tell me what you see?

Knees are soft, hips aren't fully extended.

Thank you.

Is this any better? During the workout I tried to focus on breaking knees and hips together and getting full lockout. This is my 3rd workset @ 259. At this point I was so tired that my #1 priority was not getting stuck at the bottom.

Hope the vid is ok. I had someone holding the camera for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IW1VTfrv90

I like squatting to Fat Bottomed Girls, too.

Knees & hips together is definitely better. Unfortunately, the rack post makes it difficult to judge depth or see if you're better locked out at the top. There's still a bit of knee slide but really just a little.

Thank you again coach. I'll keep working on it.

As the weight gets heavier and more difficult is it common to feel like there's too much to think about because the struggle with the weight takes all your concentration?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    As the weight gets heavier and more difficult is it common to feel like there's too much to think about because the struggle with the weight takes all your concentration?
    Yes. And this is exactly why we usually advise to take some weight off the bar when working on a technique issue. It defeats the purpose of working on technique if the weight is so heavy that you can't focus on doing it correctly, especially when that "correctly" is a recent change from an ingrained habit.