starting strength gym

Thread: Help with a fast lift

Default Help with a fast lift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I was hoping to lean on you for a review and some advice on my power snatch.

I've been training this lift once a week since february, with a focus mainly on technique, speed and balance in the catch. I try to catch as low as I can while maintaining balance. I've never received any coaching on the lift, which will become obvious when you watch the video.

I know you prefer only the one video, but since I train in doubles I though 3 might provide more information. I tried to get them to merge, but it didn't work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5Deoez9eM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yocI-pb7Ko
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7ojHuyxXI

Are you able to advise some key things I should be working on? Also, since I am weak catching in a low position, is there merit in squatting all the way down with every rep?

Thanks as always for the help you give.

Start by fixing your start. Use the same set up procedure as for the deadlift. Set your stance, then grip, then shin/knee position one at a time and without moving the bar. The bar should always be over midfoot and your ass should be in the same nice, efficient place (higher than you think) every time. You're rushing and it's sloppy.

Set up is harder to do when the weight is silly-light. Focus. Add some weight.

Thank you for the input Stef. I'll work on the setup. Part of the issue is dealing with wonky bumpers and floor, which refuse to sit still and even, but Ill see if the heavier plates sit better. From the videos are my hips still too low?

If it's OK I'll film and post my next session trying to fix the above, and at a slightly heavier weight. There seems to be for me a very fine line between snatch looking easy and becoming impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Thank you for the input Stef. I'll work on the setup. Part of the issue is dealing with wonky bumpers and floor, which refuse to sit still and even, but Ill see if the heavier plates sit better. From the videos are my hips still too low?

If it's OK I'll film and post my next session trying to fix the above, and at a slightly heavier weight. There seems to be for me a very fine line between snatch looking easy and becoming impossible.
    Put something small in front of the bumpers (or behind, if that's where they're going) like a strap, sock, or other soft thing that will not be a problem if you drop the weight on it.

If it's OK I'll film and post my next session trying to fix the above, and at a slightly heavier weight.
    Sure. Looking forward to your next outfit.
    Last edited by stef; 07-22-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Put something small in front of the bumpers (or behind, if that's where they're going) like a strap, sock, or other soft thing that will not be a problem if you drop the weight on it.
    That is a beautifully simple idea.

Sure. Looking forward to your next outfit.
    The pressure! I'll see what I can do

Here are 2 sets from my lifting today. I tried to focus on 3 things:

1 - making my set up look more like my deadlift set up,
    2 - Keeping my hips a bit higher,
    3 - matching my socks to my shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDxrM2Q6yWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQwed0l3CE

How did I do?
    IMO, the higher hips seemed to help the pull - I was catching them a bit higher I think, even though the second set is a bit heavier. The socks are not the right shade of orange.

I don't feel stable catching the bar lower. Is this something I need to work on, by doing OHS, or does it sort itself out as the weight gets heavier?

Thanks again for your review

How did I do?
    IMO, the higher hips seemed to help the pull - I was catching them a bit higher I think, even though the second set is a bit heavier. The socks are not the right shade of orange.

I don't feel stable catching the bar lower. Is this something I need to work on, by doing OHS, or does it sort itself out as the weight gets heavier?

Thanks again for your review
    You're still rushing your set up, slopping things around right before you start. Get the start position, tighten up and hold for a count of 2 before you squeeze it off the floor.

Not sure why you keep bring up "catching it lower". An explosive pull & meeting the bar high is the point of a power snatch. If you're thinking "lower" because you want to catch in a squat snatch position, that's all well and good, but you need to fix your pull before you add the weight that will make that necessary. Right now, the point of the drop is that the drop is where you arms straighten out. If your pull is right, you won't be doing this while moving the bar back to a different position or ducking to get your head out of the way as you do on the last one. You've got some arm pull creeping in too (that's what makes the second at 60 real bad).

Ah, I totally misconstrued what you meant when you said I was rushing my set up. I tried to fix this today, and yes, squeezing while setting up with weight this light is awkward, because the bar comes off the ground. I might have to take some time to get used to it, as my pulls today felt terrible. Do they look any better to you? Am I also note jumping forward?

https://youtu.be/h5afazSlIhg
    https://youtu.be/h8uep0BNx_w

Thanks again for your time

These look better than your previous videos. Better setup. However, you need to keep your arms straight a little longer. Wait on it. Make sure the barbell contacts your hip crease/right below the belly with your arms straight. Try and hit a position like the picture below. Full extension, bar nice and close, arms straight. Frame through your video and note how you bend you arms a little early and by the time you come to more or less full extension, the bar is already a good deal higher than your belly button and your arms have a lot of bend in them. Lastly, work to make your jump faster and more explosive.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom and Stef,

I think I've got enough to work on for now. I'll apply myself and work hard. Thanks for all your help