starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean

Default Power Clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coaches,
    This is the first time I've filmed my power cleans. I've already got a list started. I'll just add your suggestions to it. Hit me!

Thank you for the time.

Chris

07 22 15 Cleans 190x3x5 - YouTube

You are pulling in flexion and catching the bar in your hands instead of on your delts. On the plus side, you keep your arms straight. Lose the belt. If you want a little extra support, consider a velcro belt for cleans. You need to squeeze up much more. Your back is often pretty round. Stay over the bar longer and don't try to become more upright early. Rack the bar on the meat of your shoulders and not in your hands. Let the bar roll back into your finger tips. This will save your wrists and speed the rack.

Thank you, Tom!
    With your suggestions I am going to:

1) Back off to 155 lbs
    2) Stop using the hook grip for PCs
    3) Lose the belt
    4) Jump up instead of back which should clean up the over extension
    5) Pop my elbows up
    6) Rack on my delts
    7) Not focus on the weight (I can do that with dead lifts)

The only thing that surprised me was the rounding of my back you pointed out. I need to figure out what is causing that. I feel like I am locking my back but I might be pulling with my shoulders instead of my lower back. Thanks again! I should have something on video next week.

You will note that I did not suggest most of your enumerated points above. I think you should try to do what I suggested instead of your list. Why would you stop using the hook grip, or think that I advised such a thing?

I feel like I am locking my back but I might be pulling with my shoulders instead of my lower back.
    No comprendo.

Quick two cents on why you should always use hook on cleans/snatches (like Tom said):

cent#1: you can pull more easily, I know=no duh

cent#2: I was "resistant" to the hook grip my whole life, until about 1 year ago.
    I USED to think . . . "I can easily DOH-hookless DeadLift 315 from the floor quickly, with power . . .I'll never clean that (bad mentality, I know I know), so why do I need hook grip?"
    blah blah blah fast forward to recently . . . some guy told me late on "it seems to help keep your arms straight, even if you really don't need the extra 'grip-bar' strength"
    Moral of the story: yeah, it seems when I hook now, I don't have to be AS conscious about keeping my arms straight, it just kinda happens naturally now.

. . .for me #2 has been more useful than #1 (as far as PC is concerned)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are pulling in flexion and catching the bar in your hands instead of on your delts. On the plus side, you keep your arms straight. Lose the belt. If you want a little extra support, consider a velcro belt for cleans. You need to squeeze up much more. Your back is often pretty round. Stay over the bar longer and don't try to become more upright early. Rack the bar on the meat of your shoulders and not in your hands. Let the bar roll back into your finger tips. This will save your wrists and speed the rack.
    Tom
    I apologize for coming across as rogue. I sometimes over-complicate things (according to my wife). The numerical list was trying to address what I thought to be the solutions to the problems you stated. When in fact you are giving me the solutions....which obviously I don't understand. So...

- I guess I don't understand how to solve the flexion problem based on what you're telling me.

- What do you mean by "squeeze"?

- And finally I have no idea what I was saying with this: "I feel like I am locking my back but I might be pulling with my shoulders instead of my lower back."
    Disregard

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon74 View Post
    What do you mean by "squeeze"?
    Contract your spinal erectors to get your back flat. A frequently used cue is to "squeeze your chest up" or "point your sternum at the wall in front of you."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Contract your spinal erectors to get your back flat. A frequently used cue is to "squeeze your chest up" or "point your sternum at the wall in front of you."
    Thanks Tom!

MBasic, I agree with you. I love it too. My reasoning was the bar would roll down my fingers faster when I rack without the hook grip. Bad reasoning is bad

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon74 View Post
    Thanks Tom!

MBasic, I agree with you. I love it too. My reasoning was the bar would roll down my fingers faster when I rack without the hook grip. Bad reasoning is bad
    Release the hook as you rack.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay Tom! Should have something to look at Monday night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast