starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Please

Default Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9zn...ature=youtu.be

47, 5'11", 200 lbs

Was doing high bar, went and saw a SS coach, and while I've made progress, I think I have lots of work to do on proper low bar form.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

You are still largely doing a high bar squat, albeit overdoing the look down command and putting the bar lower on the back. Don't look down that far. You are in cervical flexion. We want your spine in as close to normal anatomical position as you can get it. This squat needs to come from the hips. Don't let your knees go so far forward and especially don't let them go forward at the bottom. This will cause you to lean over more. That's okay. Talk to me about your wrists and your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are still largely doing a high bar squat, albeit overdoing the look down command and putting the bar lower on the back. Don't look down that far. You are in cervical flexion. We want your spine in as close to normal anatomical position as you can get it. This squat needs to come from the hips. Don't let your knees go so far forward and especially don't let them go forward at the bottom. This will cause you to lean over more. That's okay. Talk to me about your wrists and your shoulders.
    Wrists and shoulders have been very rough. When I grip I believe I'm taking the textbook grip, but as I get under the bar, I can't seem to keep them from rotating backwards. I'm not sure if this is flexibility related, or whether I'm doing something I shouldn't be as I move under.

I'm trying a few things to work on that portion. I'm using some PVC pipe to do shoulder flexibility exercises daily, lift or not. I'm also doing my first few warm up sets with no grip....arms wrapped around the bar...which stretches me quite a bit! Not sure if either of those will solve that wrist/shoulder problem eventually, but have been trying that for about a week now.

I'll continue to work on the looking down,keeping the back rigid, and focusing on the hip pieces in the interim and then repost after I feel like I've made some progress.

Thanks for the feedback...it's much appreciated.

Made some adjustments. Anxious to hear where I've improved and what I still need to work on. (I think my depth was light, particularly the first couple.)

https://youtu.be/YUVPOI923NQ

Thanks in advance!

Drive your knees out more. Send your butt back more. Drive up with your hips. Still leading with your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Drive your knees out more. Send your butt back more. Drive up with your hips. Still leading with your chest.
    Coach, when you you say "drive your knees out more"...

Do you mean my knee (and foot) angle isn't wide enough, OR that I'm allowing the knees to cave in? Or is it BOTH?

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    On a second watching, your feet might be a little wide, but otherwise they don't trouble me. Push your knees out to there is a longer distance between them at the bottom. Also, get off your toes.