starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It is time for me to enthusiastically discuss two movies. The first is the latest Mad Max. It was flat out genius. Any of you heathens that disagree have already declared yourselves to be of low birth and completely lacking in taste.

Secondly, the new Deadpool movie looks like it is going to be great.

Man! I had to see Mad Max: Fury Road so bad that I literally got out of my death-bead to do so. Ok - so it was only pneumonia, so chalk me up for literal abuse.

For that 2 or so hours I forgot I had a raging fever, a cough with blood in it, and the cardio-pulmonary action of a shrew on speed. With only minimal hyperbole: I regained the will to live.

Despite, or maybe because of, launching half-way into what would otherwise be a big-heist plotline. Ditto for the largely unexplained but intricate details of the characters and their cultures that coaxed you into making your own mythologies. The face melting action that felt non-stop but somehow avoided the usual desensitization that occurs 20 minutes into the blood and carnage. And absolutely because Furiosa was a magnificent character with bugger all backstory who still just worked on every level, played with absolute believability by Charlize Theron. Max was in it too.

Icing on the cake was that it provided fodder for satirical commentary such as this: "Men's Rights Groups have expressed horror at George Miller's new Mad Max film, claiming that its brutal, uncompromising depictions of gender equality and fully-formed female characters are simply too scary for them to appreciate the film. The movement, which seeks to return men to their traditional place of dominance and leadership in society, has fought against Mad Max using its usual strategy of infantile whingeing and mewling."

I can't wait for the next installments. I won't begrudge Namibia if they keep filming them there.

Oh my God, Fury Road. I could go on for hours about how much I love that movie.

Protip: if you need workout music that makes you feel like you could punch the entire universe in the face, the Fury Road soundtrack is perfect.

Both of you are okay in my book.

"Imperator Furiosa," might be the coolest name of any character in a movie in a long time. I am looking forward to buying the Blu-Ray when it comes out.

I fucking missed Fury Road. Must see Deadpool.

Too much a fan of the original to see what the big deal is with Fury Road. The only thing that is truly cool about the movie is the guy playing heavy metal guitar strapped to the front of a big rig, which is as it should be. Of course, that is the only piece that carries on the spirit of the original.

Now if they had brought back the feral kid, or Mr. Humongous, or those '80s hairstyles...

The part in the Deadpool trailer where he inhales the whisps of smoke coming out of his pistols and says, "I'm touching myself tonight," is comedic gold.

It has been a good year for movies. Mad Max's triumph pretty much makes everything else look sad. The Avengers wasn't very good, but I enjoyed Jurassic World. I don't care if every fucking Jurassic <whatever> movie has the same fucking plot. Give me the motherfucking dinos and I will put up with the snotty kids in the movie and elements of melodrama. The Minions movie was enjoyable, if simplistic. Mission Impossible kicked ass.

Further, we would be remiss if we did not mention both The Martian and Revenant. First, The Martian. It is Ridley Scott, so there is potential it will be cool. Looks like a badass story. I believe it is based on a book and I should probably read that book before watching the movie.

The Revenant, in keeping with its name, looks intense and haunting. It also gives me a major cinematography boner.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtN View Post
    Too much a fan of the original to see what the big deal is with Fury Road. The only thing that is truly cool about the movie is the guy playing heavy metal guitar strapped to the front of a big rig, which is as it should be. Of course, that is the only piece that carries on the spirit of the original.

Now if they had brought back the feral kid, or Mr. Humongous, or those '80s hairstyles...
    Spaketh ye not another word until thou seeith the film.

Episode VII is coming out in four months, yet nary a word. On the movies thread. Saddened.

starting strength coach development program
    Am I the only one who thinks of SS seminars when I watch Dredd?

"Lose your weapon, it's an automatic fail. . ."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast