starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth check

Default Squat Depth check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I am signed up for the fall classic (WFAC) and am concerned my squat may not be consistently deep enough at heavy sets. Recently I bought PL shoes and they helped quite a bit. I don't want to get redlighted at my first competition, so may consider planning on squatting light at the meet rather than fail. I really don't think I can get more depth without letting go in my low back. Thank you for your time, I appreciate your help!

Below link is to today's last set of 5 at 180lbs. I am running a modified 531 and this is 5's week. I have a set of 5 from last week at 195, but I recorded it in an application that apparently doesn't allow trimming of video. Also, due to tight gym quarters I am unable get a rear angle that shows both my hip and knee, so only have the side view.

https://youtu.be/pwK0F9tczRA

My log is here: pokie1313's Geezelle log

Ya, these are all a bit high. You're sitting back with your hips first, then falling into the bottom with your knees shooting forward. Think about initiating your squat by shoving your knees forward and out AND sitting back/leaning over at the same time. Descend a little slower and under control, and keep sitting back about 2 inches deeper than you think you need to.

Thank you very much, I will try that!

I should have added to do this with some weight off the bar to get good at it and be sure you're doing it right before working your way back up. If the set you posted is 180, my guess is 155 would be a good weight at which to get this right. But could be a little less or a little more, depending how easy/hard it is for you to implement.