starting strength gym

Thread: Optimal Weight for Female Trainees

Default Optimal Weight for Female Trainees

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a really basic question: is there a well defined formula for the optimal bodyweight for female lifters? By optimal, I mean is there an ideal weight for maximal strength?

If you had the time and access to the information, you could look at the stats from the IPF for the various female lifters. You could easily find their body weights, but their heights might be harder to pin down. That would give you a rough estimation of how tall the successful competitors are in the various weight classes and you might be able to tease out a generalized number of pounds-per-inch-of-height relationship. Of course, what applies to them may not apply to other trainees. The variables that affect this question rapidly approach infinity. Unless a trainee is significantly overweight, putting on body weight will generally make getting stronger an easier process. What is the ideal weight for maximal strength? For many trainees, both male and female, the answer is, "More than the trainee weighs at present." The usual caveats and exceptions apply. That's all I got.

Something along similar lines, except for weightlifting not powerlifting.
    https://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-w...lifting-weight

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If you had the time and access to the information, you could look at the stats from the IPF for the various female lifters
    I might try to do this in my spare time. I do love data-collection/analysis, so this can be a new hobby.

Of course, what applies to them may not apply to other trainees. The variables that affect this question rapidly approach infinity.
    I realize that genetics (sex, race, specific gene markers, etc) and experience (training, metabolism, diet, lifestyle, goals etc.) makes establishing a general recommendation difficult. I think I should have phrased my original question differently, so let me try again:
    This information (weight recommendations) seems more readily available for men. For instance my husband, who is in a similar position to me, has been advised by both Andy and Jordan in separate posts about programming and nutrition respectively, that he should try to get his weight up to around 200 lbs at 5'9". So I guess I was wondering if there is a similarly general recommendation for women. I am 5'3" and weigh 155. Unfortunately, I don't have calipers, so I don't know what my BF% is, but I am fairly certain that it is under 25%. As for my training details: I think I am approaching the end of my novice training. I am currently squatting 207.5, benching 118, pressing, 84, deadlifting 245, and cleaning 121.

For many trainees, both male and female, the answer is, "More than the trainee weighs at present."
    This makes sense to me, I just was hoping to get a ballpark figure to shoot for. No worries if that is too broad a question to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia_kai_aponia View Post
    This information (weight recommendations) seems more readily available for men. For instance my husband, who is in a similar position to me, has been advised by both Andy and Jordan in separate posts about programming and nutrition respectively, that he should try to get his weight up to around 200 lbs at 5'9". So I guess I was wondering if there is a similarly general recommendation for women.
    I do not know of such a recommendation. This is due in large part to the much smaller sample size we have for women trainees. Women who seriously pursue strength training in large numbers is a more recent phenomenon than it is for males. Yes, I am aware of women like Abbye Stockton, but she was an exception, especially in the 1940s. Even the recommendation that men of average height can and should weigh 200 pounds that Rip made popular is hardly universally accepted. Hell, you need to only look at some of the more vocal posters on this forum that scoff at such a notion.

I am 5'3" and weigh 155. Unfortunately, I don't have calipers, so I don't know what my BF% is, but I am fairly certain that it is under 25%.
    The only way to actually pin this down is to get it measured. DEXA and hydrostatic weighing are probably the least inaccurate and most consistent, but they cost money. Calipers can work, but require a skilled practitioner. The same people that talk shit about caliper measurements also tend to love the Fat Free Mass Index (FFMI) that was developed using, you guessed it, calipers. When the people that came up with the FFMI didn't use calipers, they used pictures and took a guess. Sounds legit to me. All of the measurement procedures involve error and, honestly, fuck the Internet and body fat measurement.

As for my training details: I think I am approaching the end of my novice training. I am currently squatting 207.5, benching 118, pressing, 84, deadlifting 245, and cleaning 121.
    All solid numbers.

This makes sense to me, I just was hoping to get a ballpark figure to shoot for. No worries if that is too broad a question to answer!
    My suggestion would be to not be overly fussed about bodyweight. Train hard for the next five years. At your height and level of training advancement, you probably don't need to put on more weight in order to continue to make progress. As you train and continue to get stronger, you will get a good idea for where you need to be and where you feel good. Then you can come back and tell us what the answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceland View Post
    Something along similar lines, except for weightlifting not powerlifting.
    https://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-w...lifting-weight
    Thank you for this link! It was actually helpful to see the ranges laid out, albeit for weight lifting, not powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Hell, you need to only look at some of the more vocal posters on this forum that scoff at such a notion.
    True, but having a ballpark figure helps.

The only way to actually pin this down is to get it measured. DEXA and hydrostatic weighing are probably the least inaccurate and most consistent, but they cost money. Calipers can work, but require a skilled practitioner.
    Hah! I study brain reward mechanisms connected to obesity and I can get a single rat scanned for 14 bucks a pop. Somehow I suspect the price would be many times larger for a full grown human. But WTF do I know?

My suggestion would be to not be overly fussed about bodyweight. Train hard for the next five years. At your height and level of training advancement, you probably don't need to put on more weight in order to continue to make progress. As you train and continue to get stronger, you will get a good idea for where you need to be and where you feel good. Then you can come back and tell us what the answer is.
    Ok! Well, thank you for my help. Now if you can just email my Mom and get her off my back about being too thick.

True, but having a ballpark figure helps.

Hah! I study brain reward mechanisms connected to obesity and I can get a single rat scanned for 14 bucks a pop. Somehow I suspect the price would be many times larger for a full grown human. But WTF do I know?

Ok! Well, thank you for my help. Now if you can just email my Mom and get her off my back about being too thick.
    Around here a hydrostatic bf test is $50.
    Pick your mom up and squat her. That will learn her.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Around here a hydrostatic bf test is $50.

Wow! That is a totally reasonable price. I'll see what options are in my area.

Pick your mom up and squat her. That will learn her.
    Lol! That's some image!

starting strength coach development program
    I have a really basic question: is there a well defined formula for the optimal bodyweight for female lifters? By optimal, I mean is there an ideal weight for maximal strength?
    There was some discussion of this at a 2014 SS seminar. (I know because I asked the question.)

For the most part, the answer was that there was no answer for the reasons Mr. Campitelli gave. With that said, there was a suggestion from several female lifters (at least one of whom was a Starting Strength coach) that being "overweight" per BMI was a good starting point. If I recall correctly, a BMI of 27ish was thrown out as a good starting target, though of course it's going to be dependent on your individual body type.