starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Snatch Re-Check

Default Power Snatch Re-Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been back in the gym practicing these. I think I was "donkey kicking" before thinking that I could get a better stomp in order to finish the lift quickly, but I know see where they were actually slowing them down. Here is my latest work. Thx!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXOc9um0nU

There is improvement here. Next thing to work on: jump back. You are hopping forward on every rep. Let's see if jumping back keeps you in the same place. Also, work on keeping the bar close to you after the jump.

I think I managed to stay in place a little better by reminding myself to jump back. Here is my 6th set @ 90 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239VeRTdz7M

I have to give it to you, you are actually implementing the cues and improving. It still looks a little awkward, but better than before. Get the bar going a little faster off the ground. The bar's acceleration needs to peak at the jump. Add a little weight and go faster. The bar is actually almost going behind you, but that may not happen when it is a little heavier and you cannot just pull the bar back.

Ok, thanks Tom. I really want to include these in my exercise arsenal. I understand their role for improving peak power production and agility. They also look really cool, and keep the body builders in a state of confusion and dismay. Also, sorry for the annoying sound in the video. Some moron was doing preacher curls with an eazy-bar that was desperately in need of oil.

I almost never listen to the sound in any of the videos.

Since I've added some weight and sped the pull from the floor up a bit, they feel more natural and less awkward. I hope there is more improvement this time. Thx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4D37uNMUo4

Put more weight on the bar. Stay over the bar longer. You are lifting your chest first thing out of the bottom. Try to land in your same footprints instead of going so wide.

Ok, Thanks a lot Tom. Couple of questions though. I feel as if the bar is hitting me about an inch too low in the jumping/hang position. It's banging me more in my upper pubis instead of my lower abdomen. I'm already gripping the bar pretty much to the sleeves. I'm I doing something wrong to cause this? Sometimes its quite painful. Also, is there a useful cue that I can think of that will allow me to stay over the bar longer. I was maybe thinking of " keep my shoulders over the bar for as long as possible".

starting strength coach development program
    Sometimes snatching hurts. You can try not to hit the bar as hard. That is your best bet. It does not look like you are hitting too low, although there are a few things with your jump that still need to be sorted. Don't lift your chest first out of the bottom. Instead, straighten your legs more while staying leaned over. You don't want to turn it into a stiff legged deadlift with a snatch grip, but right now you are lifting your chest first thing and changing your back angle too soon. Keep the bar on the legs and think of staying leaned over as you pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast