starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quick programming question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The jump was from 240lbs (10% less than my highest 3x5 of 265 before stalling at 270) to 250

When my grandfather taught me chess about 43 years ago, he used to make me sit on my hands and count to 120 before making a move, as an exercise in preventing hasty moves. Perhaps you should try the same thing when you post?

1) What time period did this occur over (time from 155# BW to 225#)? and did this coincide with start of the NLP and the stall? 10# jumps each workout on the squat and putting 170# on the bar from your first workout until now = 6 weeks at 3 workouts per week if you're doing the NLP.
    2) How on earth did you put on 70# eating only 2900-3200 cal/day? 2500 is base maintenance for an average male at your age (no weight loss / gain). 70# would be reasonable if you were eating 5500 cal a day. Typo on the weights? At a 700 cal surplus / day, that does not seem reasonable to support a 70# weight gain, esp in 6 weeks.
    3) Smaller jumps do not equal more rest. Smaller jumps equals less stress. You obviously have PPFST, perhaps re-reading the section on Stress / Recovery / Adaptation so that you really understand what you're asking about is in order.
    4) I already told you what I thought you should do vis-a-vis your jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    When my grandfather taught me chess about 43 years ago, he used to make me sit on my hands and count to 120 before making a move, as an exercise in preventing hasty moves. Perhaps you should try the same thing when you post?

1) What time period did this occur over (time from 155# BW to 225#)? and did this coincide with start of the NLP and the stall? 10# jumps each workout on the squat and putting 170# on the bar from your first workout until now = 6 weeks at 3 workouts per week if you're doing the NLP.
    2) How on earth did you put on 70# eating only 2900-3200 cal/day? 2500 is base maintenance for an average male at your age (no weight loss / gain). 70# would be reasonable if you were eating 5500 cal a day. Typo on the weights? At a 700 cal surplus / day, that does not seem reasonable to support a 70# weight gain, esp in 6 weeks.
    3) Smaller jumps do not equal more rest. Smaller jumps equals less stress. You obviously have PPFST, perhaps re-reading the section on Stress / Recovery / Adaptation so that you really understand what you're asking about is in order.
    4) I already told you what I thought you should do vis-a-vis your jumps.
    Yes, I will take your grandfather's wisdom and apply it. My apologies. I'm used to posting on a forum that allows you to edit your posts immediately after you hit send.

1. It took about 9 months. I've been on linear progression for a long time due to injuries and scheduling conflicts with my job. I've had to reset a few times. I've been 215-225 for the last 3 months or so. Reaching that weight didn't coincide with a stall, no. I suppose all that answers your 2nd question. What's crazy is that I used to eat less and got up to 210 any way. Did the whole gallon of milk thing until my bf hit about 18% or so, but I was on that for much longer because of having to reset many times, as I did not want to let my body get un-used to drinking milk. That probably helped my weight gain too. Prior to lifting, I was running and swimming a lot, plus I'm on my feet at work, so I was probably could have weighed more at the beginning otherwise...
    3. And 4. Yes, sir. Thank you

One thing: work on the mental aspect. Greg LeMond used to say about training for cycling that "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

I told Jordan this quote and he immediately appropriated it for his website: It doesn't get easier, you just lift more weight.

Some days it'll be a little harder, some a little easier, but make no mistake: It will always be HARD. Just accept that. Quit trying to guess how hard it's getting or will be h=and just accept that it will be hard and sometimes you will fail. Then go into the gym determined not to fail TODAY.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    One thing: work on the mental aspect. Greg LeMond used to say about training for cycling that "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

I told Jordan this quote and he immediately appropriated it for his website: It doesn't get easier, you just lift more weight.

Some days it'll be a little harder, some a little easier, but make no mistake: It will always be HARD. Just accept that. Quit trying to guess how hard it's getting or will be h=and just accept that it will be hard and sometimes you will fail. Then go into the gym determined not to fail TODAY.
    Ok, thank you. I began to realize this a little bit through LP up till now, but it was still hard for me to fathom how I was going to put weight up after the back off. I just need to remember to trust the program and thousands of others that have done it before. Thank you for the mentality check, really. One thing this program has taught me is that you're usually capable of more than you think. You just have to want to get after it a little more on those bad days. Thank you coach for your patience, time and putting up with me. Can't wait to make another 10 lb jump on Monday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12