starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 330x5

Default Squat form check 330x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This was my last working set of 330x5, after every work set I usually feel a dull aching pain from my mid back down to my lower back, it's not necessarily painful, but it's just an annoyance. It tells me that I'm probably doing something wrong and that I need to fix my technique. I've been progressing fine ( still on the original novice program) but this is just bugging the hell out of me. Anyways, enough of my complaining, here's the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Taohp1ztV6M

Thanks!

I don't see ahything wrong here. It could be that you're experiencing the prblem that many do - as the muscle bellies of the sinal erectors grow (stress -> recovery -> adaptation (larger muscle), the fasacia that surround them can't keep up. This tends to cause a dull ache, and it's going to be around for a while until the faascia has time to expand.

What I *don't * like is your tendency to bounce the bar around on your back. Don't do that. Your back wil thank me when you're 45. Look up "impact loading" to understand.

Thanks, I'll avoid bouncing the bar around from now on.

Glad I saw this thread. I do the same thing, will adopt corrections. Thank you, gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    What I *don't * like is your tendency to bounce the bar around on your back. Don't do that. Your back wil thank me when you're 45. Look up "impact loading" to understand.
    Steve, how much of an issue is this bounce that you refer to? I ask because the bar's behaviour at the top of his reps looks fairly standard from what I have seen, and haven't seen this being referred to as an issue previously.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Steve, how much of an issue is this bounce that you refer to? I ask because the bar's behaviour at the top of his reps looks fairly standard from what I have seen, and haven't seen this being referred to as an issue previously.
    Just because a lot of people do it does not make it right.

I think, for relatively experienced lifters, it's an attempt to show the judges the lift is locked out. For the GymBros, it's a way to make the plates rattle and get everyone's attention. In relatively light weight squats, what purpose does it serve except to impact load the spine (and waste energy)? And in this particular case, the bar is almost coming off his shoulders. You do understand that this is not optimal, for various reasons, right?
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 10-06-2015 at 07:21 AM.