starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy!

I have been working on Tom's suggestions from my last squat check and reading other form checks as well. I am well into TM and very consistent with volume day. Light and Intensity days have been hit or miss. Regardless, I am seeing progress. Here are the things I have worked on since my last check.

1) Narrowed my stance a little
    2) Keeping myself tight throughout the rep
    3) Not going too deep that I lose control of my lower back and extend. From watching other checks and seeing the response, I have been going too deep at times.

Last set of 5x5

Squat 320x5

The last rep I believe I went too deep, which is why I came up a little sideways. Probably fatigue set in a little.

Thank you for your time as always!

Alas, all of those squats were high. Drive your knees out more and get deeper. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Okay, thank you!

Follow up

Squat 322 lbs Set 5

Cannot tell much about depth from the very back, but you are not getting your knees out enough, as I suggested above. You are also slightly shifted off to your right. Do you happen to have a shorter right leg?

Tom,
    I don't think I have ever been asked that question. When I think back to the sports I would think that issue would show itself.

I made an effort to shove my knees out like you said. I know they caved a couple of times on the ascent. My internal cues are tight, shove, and drive. Would you recommend I shorten my stance? Start from scratch again I must?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon74 View Post
    Tom,
    I don't think I have ever been asked that question. When I think back to the sports I would think that issue would show itself.
    Not necessarily. A half inch difference would not show up unless you are doing a bilateral, symetrical movement, such as a squat. Further, if you do have a short leg, it is not very short.

I made an effort to shove my knees out like you said.
    Exaggerate the cue. Make more of an effort.

I know they caved a couple of times on the ascent. My internal cues are tight, shove, and drive. Would you recommend I shorten my stance?
    Nope.

Start from scratch again I must?
    Absolutely not. Here's what I want you to do. Find a half-inch piece of plywood, about at 10"x12" piece. Put it under your right leg. Squat again filmed directly from behind. Get me one set with the shim, one without. Drive your knees out harder on the way down. They do not get out enough.

Okay, to be clear. I was pretty extreme with my "start from scratch".

Asking in a more precise way, you do not recommend I back off on weight?

Thanks Tom!

I'll look for a scrap piece of ply wood this evening and try again next Tuesday.

If you cannot squat below parallel with that weight, then, yes, it will need to be a little lighter. However, I don't know if you are below parallel or not these days, so just stay there.

starting strength coach development program
    Coach, these were tough. I tried several sets with the wood and it felt much more stable but much harder.

Squat 322 LBS Set 4 (with wood) and 5

Yes, that's what she said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast