starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift help

Default Deadlift help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches -

Back in September I suffered a torn calf muscle that sidelined me for a while. I'm back to activity but feel like I've lost a lot of pulling strength.

Here is a set at 425. It was supposed to be a set for 5.

Lastly, with the alternating grip, how wide could / should the underhand be? As narrow as possible without interfering with the pull?

https://youtu.be/ITEduJ1mZzg

I don't see anything really wrong here other than you're spending a lot of time on your heels, which wouldn't' be surprising in someone who currently had a calf injury. Does it still hurt?

As far as grip width, the carrying angle of the arm is what's going to (at least partly) determine where the supinated hand goes. That said, yes, you do want it in a close as possible in order to match the other hand.

Calf doesn't hurt at this point. Which I like. It just feels weak, which I don't like. For grip width on the alternated grip, should I let my arms hang naturally and supinate one arm and use that as a good spot for hand placement? I'm right handed, is there a recommendation for which hand should be underhand? Dexterous or nondexterous?

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Calf doesn't hurt at this point. Which I like. It just feels weak, which I don't like. For grip width on the alternated grip, should I let my arms hang naturally and supinate one arm and use that as a good spot for hand placement?
    Yes, but then try to move it in a bit. It's going to be irritating if you have a significant carry angle.

I'm right handed, is there a recommendation for which hand should be underhand? Dexterous or nondexterous?
    Try it and see. I prefer to alternate. Others prefer to use the same hand all the time. Campitelli would say quit being a wimp and hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Try it and see. I prefer to alternate. Others prefer to use the same hand all the time. Campitelli would say quit being a wimp and hook grip.
    I have never really given hook grip a shot on the dead lift. I have tried it sparingly, but my itty bitty fingie starts hurting. I always changed which hand I alternated, just as a means to help offset the imbalance of the one rotated arm.

I apologize in advance. This is not a work set, or that heavy at 405lb. But my question regarding the hook grip, the pull felt alright. It was the returning the bar to the platform. That hurt my tender little thumbs. Are there any tips to help that? Or do I just get used to it and grow a set?

https://youtu.be/4PjVtfDMuw8

I don't know - I don't hook grip. Maybe some of our hook-grippers will have some input.

Please understand that the "wimp" comment was an inside joke from a recent seminar I was at with Tom. Which of course does not invalidate the advantages of the hook grip.

No worries there. I'm not that delicate of a flower. The double overhand just feels more consistent getting into the lift. I really want to stick with it without relying on straps.

I apologize in advance. This is not a work set, or that heavy at 405lb. But my question regarding the hook grip, the pull felt alright. It was the returning the bar to the platform. That hurt my tender little thumbs. Are there any tips to help that? Or do I just get used to it and grow a set?

https://youtu.be/4PjVtfDMuw8
    You can release your grip slightly right before the bar gets to the floor. You don't drop the bar, but you don't want that tight hook grip when the bar hits the ground.

I learned this from Campitelli who did not call me a wimp, but he talked me into joining #team hook grip. It was a good decision for me.

starting strength coach development program
    No worries there. I'm not that delicate of a flower. The double overhand just feels more consistent getting into the lift. I really want to stick with it without relying on straps.
    It does take a little bit to get used to it. My one piece of advice would be to not set the bar deep in the hand while using hook grip. It can work for mixed, but I found that I had a lot more thumb pain doing it that way with the hook grip. If you look at Rip's vid for DL grip, you should be ok. Doing it that way gave me near zero thumb pain. Then I decided to ramp up to 550x2, and I tore some nice chunks out of my thumbs. So take your time with it and let your hands get used to it. Using a mixed grip, you won't have thick thumb callouses at this point. I still pull more with a mixed grip, but I do believe that a hook grip can match it with enough practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast