starting strength gym

Thread: Bar too low on low bar squat

Default Bar too low on low bar squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I specifically uploaded this video from the back because I have a question concerning bar placement. About 2 weeks ago I started placing the bar lower on my back- like in the video below and I found that first of all I no longer have an issue with the bar rolling onto my neck, which I had happen 3-4 times before with the bar higher up on my back. And secondly this position feels a lot more stable and comfortable overall. I am just wondering is it ok to keep the bar in this position and squat like this or should I move it back further up my back?

Below is a video of set 3 of 270 from today- I am sorry if the weight is hard to make out but there is a 35, two 25s, two 10s, a 5 and a 2.5 on each side of the bar.

http://vid567.photobucket.com/albums...psai8zp5g5.mp4

I'll upload sets 1 and 2 and sets 1-3 from yesterday which are from the side a bit later on as photobucket is giving me some issues and its really slow atm.
    Last edited by stef; 11-21-2015 at 06:13 PM.

You appear to have the bar below the insertions of the deltoids on the humerus. This is well below where we would recommend that you put it. You are more likely to suffer an injury to the wrists, elbows, or shoulder with the bar that low. Have you seen the bar placement video on this site?

You are also going too low, don't have your knees out enough, and are doing what could be called a squat morning. Do you have the third edition of Starting Strength? If not, I encourage you to buy it and read it. There are a lot of things in there that will help you. Please don't post multiple videos unless we ask you to do so, either. Read the sticky at the top of this page.