starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am following the Powerlifting to win novice program, similar to SS but no overhead press or cleans (I have a low ceiling cramped space). I am using the SS squat model though. The guy who created it was in some way taught by or worked alongside Mark. I am worried about my squat form, I am on workout number 3.

If the angle isn't the best sorry, the shed is tiny and this means there is not much wiggle room for the laptop, which I am using to record.

6 x 67.5kg - squat starts @30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/04RcMPm-p_M

I am sorry to hear you are not pressing or power cleaning. You are missing out. I would suggest finding ways to add them in to the program.

You are going too deep and letting the bar go forward of the mid foot at the bottom and a bit on the way up. Cut your depth off a little and focus on keeping the bar in a slot over the midfoot the whole time. Also, keep your chin down more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I am sorry to hear you are not pressing or power cleaning. You are missing out. I would suggest finding ways to add them in to the program.

You are going too deep and letting the bar go forward of the mid foot at the bottom and a bit on the way up. Cut your depth off a little and focus on keeping the bar in a slot over the midfoot the whole time. Also, keep your chin down more.
    Thanks Tom, I just finished my workout for today, I messed up my first set, I think I was trying to sit back too far and cut too much knee travel out for my body proportions. This was my second workset and I didn't exaggerate sitting back as much, how does this set look?

Squat starts at 22 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIj...ature=youtu.be

I appreciate your attempts at film noir. More light will only help things.

Your last two were the best. They weren't too deep, nor too shallow, and your knees did not punch forward at the bottom. Make all your squats more like those. On many of your reps, you experience significant forward knee slide. Get your knees in place by about halfway down and then keep them there. You are not allowed to let your knees shift forward, nor the bar to drift forward of the middle of your foot.

Fully agree with Tom. I would add that you should find a way to include pressing and power cleaning if at all possible. Find a place to train where you can press overhead. If you are truly resolute in your commitment to training in a space with low ceilings such as to preclude the option of a standing press, then at least consider a seated press.

Pressing with a very wide stance might work with the low ceiling.

I must jump in on this as well, find a way to get in overhead work. Avoiding the press and just benching is a recipe for imbalanced musculature. This will increase the potential for shoulder issues down the road. I have dealt we these things and it is not fun. Start pressing overhead and watch your strength increase.

It is not just me, Pearsy. Lots of people think you should not omit the press. Just because you read on the Internet that pressing is not necessary does not make it so. Plus, if you want to lift in a strength meet (and let's face it, who doesn't want to lift in a strength meet?) you need to press.

Not to mention that you just read on the internet that you DO need to press.

This conundrum, of course, will cause disruption that will warp the space-time continuum.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't currently do any overhead press work as my shed ceiling is far too low, my head is about 5 inches from the support beams on the roof, which makes it impossible. The other option is seated press, but my current rack is a cost about 50 pounds and is a wobbly mess, the safety bars are tiny and look suspect so I don't feel very comfortable doing them seated either, plus the knurling on my bar is almost non existent, so I also have worries about overhead work altogether.

The only real option is dumbbells.

On the positive side, in a couple of months me and my girlfriend are going half and half on a rogue 72inch squat stand setup with very long robust safeties and a rogue ohio power bar. I am pretty broke and Lifting was only an option on budget equipment until we saved up enough for a proper setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast