starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check 130kg/287lbs

Default Squat Form Check 130kg/287lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I recently posted a couple of form checks here...

http://startingstrength.com/resource...0kg-220lb.html
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...kg-253lbs.html

The advice I was given last time was to...
    - Point my toes in a bit more
    - Speed up my descent so I get a better bounce out of the bottom
    - Try to stop shifting onto the outsides of my feet

Here is the third set of today's workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zROZvtpTd5c

- Toes in more I have done (I hope).
    - Speeding up the descent, I am working towards but I am struggling with. If I go any faster than this and I tend to lose tightness at the bottom and my back rounds. It also makes me lose balance, and shift away from my mid foot.
    - Shifting onto the outsides of my feet I am also struggling with some of the time. It's pretty inconsistent.

The reason I am posting this form check is that I feel like my squat technique has changed in the last couple of weeks, but I don't know if it's in a good way or a bad way (or if it just feels like it's changed because it's heavier). It feels unfamiliar now and I need to know whether to keep working on the previous issues, or if I am developing new bad habits. I think I am also finding it hard to correct things due to struggling with the weight (although I thought this was the case when I was squatting 220 so maybe I'm just imagining it again).

I am also struggling to keep my abs tight due to the heavy weight, this is particularly noticeable IMO on rep 5 where there is quite a bit of lumbar flexion and then I ascend in what looks like a really bad back position (I think). I don't know if I need to back off the weight until I can squat with better form. I would rather keep going up as I am enjoying making progress with the weight but I will if you think it's necessary.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give you as much info as possible. If you would rather I just posted a video with a sentence or two next time, let me know and I will do that instead.

Thanks

1) right from the start you need to bend over more
    2) HIP DRIVE. You are either not using it at all (rep 4) or giving up on it part of the way up. Squat your hips up out of the hole.
    3) You're too jerky. Smooth these out. Unlock knees / hips, BEND OVER, bounce out of the bottom
    4) You;re too deep. Prob about an inch
    5) You're relaxing at the bottom to get depth. Stop it. Everything shold be it's tightest at the bottom. Bounce off that tightness. Quit feeling for depth - just go there and bounce right back out.
    6) HIP DRIVE dammit. And bend over more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    1) right from the start you need to bend over more
    2) HIP DRIVE. You are either not using it at all (rep 4) or giving up on it part of the way up. Squat your hips up out of the hole.
    3) You're too jerky. Smooth these out. Unlock knees / hips, BEND OVER, bounce out of the bottom
    4) You;re too deep. Prob about an inch
    5) You're relaxing at the bottom to get depth. Stop it. Everything shold be it's tightest at the bottom. Bounce off that tightness. Quit feeling for depth - just go there and bounce right back out.
    6) HIP DRIVE dammit. And bend over more.
    Thanks.

I find it difficult to bend over more (especially at the start) without the weight shifting onto my toes, either that or it makes my knees not go forwards enough which leads to lumbar flexion at the bottom or I just generally lose my balance in some way. Is there any further advice you can give me about this, or is it just a matter of practicing it until I get it right?

One thing I forgot to add last night - bar looks to be too high up on your back - by what looks like about an inch. This will also help you with your balance issues.

Right from the start you need to bend over more. This gets it through your head that you need to be and stay bent over during a squat. Lumbar flexion is on you - keep your back set. Yes, it's hard. Yes, your hamstrings are tighter this way. THAT IS WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. Hamstring tension is what is used to rebound out of the hole in the squat.

This is all clearly explained in this book: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 11-25-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Steve - Do you think the bar is too high on his back? It looks that way to me from here.

Yes. I edited my comment just before you posted.

starting strength coach development program
    I put the bar higher up on purpose. I dealt with bicep tendinitis for a long time, but using a thumbs around grip, wrist wraps, elbow sleeves and putting the bar higher on up my back helped me get rid of it. I think I should be alright with it lower down now though so I will do that from now on as long as it doesn't start hurting again.

Also, I have read the book several times, I am just really bad at putting it all into practice!