starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check please

Default Deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hiya. I hope all is well. I wanted to ask for a Deadlift form check because I am developing a hitch in my deadlift descent that I am not sure how to correct. Second and third reps are where I start seeing the uneven descent. The fifth rep release was messed up because I was excited by the achievement and I threw the deadlift to the ground!

If there is anything in general that I am performing poorly please let me know because I am looking forward to improving.Thank you for your time in advance.

Deadlift 365x1x5 Slightly NSFW (music language)

I only counted 4 reps.

Aside from the incomplete set, the main problem that I see here is that you think squeezing up your chest involves rocking back, probably onto your heels (can't see your feet, so no way to tell for sure. On each rep, you lose a little tightness, which is a concentration issue. Finally, you need to bend more at the hip on the way down - the bar is having to travel around your knees because you bend your knees too much and your hips not enough on the way down.

Ok thank you for the critique. I recounted five reps although the last rep was a dump from the top. You are right because I am settling onto my heels which drops my chest. On the descent I seem to unlock both my knees and hips at the same time which pushes my knees out and leads to an uneven warpath, hence my "hitch."Much appreciated and will work on it.

I counted 5?

0:04, 0:11, 0:18, 0:25, 0:34

FWIW, I count five reps.

Apparently Crossfit trained everyone posting that that was 5 reps. It was not.

A rep is not complete until the bar is returned to the floor. Emphasis on "returned." Dropping the loaded bar does not constitute returning the bar to the floor.

OP: you have a hitch in your return to the floor because you unlock your knees and then keep bending them. Unlock your knees A LITTLE BIT, then do most of the top half of the return by flexing the hips.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 11-24-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Fair enough and I won't dispute it. I will work on what you advised in terms of breaking from the hips at the top of the lift. Thank you.

Another way to think aabout it: on the way up, if the bar travelled in a straight line it's because you squenced knees and then hips correctly, starting out with almost entirely knee extension, titrating into almost all hip extension at the end of the lift. Return to the floor is exactly the opposite.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok. I will work on that sequencing. I knew something was wrong but was unable to figure it out. I will repost a form post when I have implemented your advice. Am I too rounded on the back when pulling? What you see is about as tight as I get but I still see myself with a rounded back...yes the lard gets in the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast