starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Coach Steve Hill

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Where's Wolf? This is very Star Wars-esque.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    I've been watching The Force Awakens trailer on constant loop, how could I have time to look at anything so trivial as this? I only looked into this thread because I felt a disturbance in The Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonu View Post
    Thinking of it in an extreme, suppose you squatted in a 6" heeled shoe.

When with the bar over the mid foot and the mid foot remaining in the same place relative to the rest of the foot as you stated AND the carcass of the shoe doing its job; you'd still feel a lot more pressure toward your toes. But perhaps this is a limitation of the shoe marital being able to spread the weight evenly in such a case.
    This is a case of an extreme example being not very worthwhile, because in this case the entire foot would be in compression (ie, rotated UNDER the mid-foot). In any event, with a 3/4" heel, you are far closer to the OTHER extreme (a flat-soled shoe), and the math does not explain the perceived instability since the effective area expressing pressure against the ground hasn't changed all that much.

starting strength coach development program
    The flat shoe does move the knees back about an inch and a half, which might make a difference in perception. It shifts a noticeable percentage of the moment from the knees to the hips. I'm not sure about feeling midfoot, but I am pretty sure my technique is better. In other words, I know I'm over midfoot better with the lower heel. I can bend over a bit more, point my nipples a bit more at the floor, and actually feel some hip drive.

For most people this won't make a difference, but I'm so upright that the 1.5 inches that my hips are able to move back is like heaven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12