starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: form check: update

Default form check: update

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    May I have a second form check after coaching, please?

link to original squat form check:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-please.html

Original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6o...ature=youtu.be

Video after 1st round of coaching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNF3...be&app=desktop

For what it's worth:

- I am finding it difficult to come out of the hole with the new back angle, now that the form change has allowed my butt to drop further down. I'm not sure why, but I feel like I can't get any power without leaning more forward out of the hole, with my back angle returning to what it was before the form change. Maybe I just need more practice and it will work itself out if I try hard not to change the angle..? I also noticed that trying to keep my knees out was fighting with leaning over further out of the hole.
    - I think I widened my stance too much
    - Used to have knee discomfort from squatting, this form change fixed that right up, so thank you again, Coach Hill
    - Still haven't quite fixed the stupid bouncy thing

Thank you for your time

Which video do you want us to look at? Of course, having read the sticky, you know that we don't do multiple checks at one time.

My apologies for not being more clear.
    I'm hoping to get a critique for the 2nd video.

I posted "original video", got a squat form check for it from Coach Hill, and tried to implement his advice, the end product being the 2nd video, which I'm hoping to get a form check for.

I posted the two videos close together so that whoever was kind enough to check my form would have an easier time comparing the original with the most recent, if that kind of thing is done.

So, again, I'm hoping for a form check with the second video. Thank you for your patient reply

Toes are turned out just a bit much. Make your chest keep up with your hips. Get your knees forward a little earlier, and keep them still at the bottom. Other than that (and the obvious struggle from letting your back angle collapse on the last rep), these look pretty good. Keep driving knees out!

Thank you Coach, glad to know these aren't total crap. Will work on toes, knees, and not letting my hips rise separately from chest. I suspect that last part will be pretty challenging for me...

I'm having a super hard time making my chest keep up with my hips out of the hole for some reason. I try to be intentional about it, but I'm stumped. It feels like I can't get enough power.

I've been watching videos with Coach Petrizzo and Wolf as references, trying to copy what they're doing... It seems like they are able to start coming out of the hole with their knees in a fixed position: something I don't really see going on with myself. But, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Matter of fact, forgive me Coach Hill if that's what you meant by "keep knees still". I presumed you meant it to apply to my knees sliding forward at the very bottom, but I realize I could be incorrect/incomplete with understanding that cue.

I filmed my most recent session, but it doesn't look much different from the one I just posted. I'm pointing my toes in more and keeping my knees from sliding forward at the bottom.

Thank you in advance to whomever picks this up

That's what I meant. The knees should not move at the bottom of the rep. Almost everyone struggles with this. I'll tell you what I told Wolf: Two sets of muscles control knee position: gastrocs and quads. Look down closer to your feet when you sway at, watch your knees, get them forward early then hold them still for the bottom 1/3 of the rep.

Ok, cool. Ok, I think I understand now: hold that bottom 1/3 knee position the rest of the way down AND on the way up for the same 1/3. Thanks so much Coach. Can't wait to give all this a try next session. Thank you again

Can't keep knees still - YouTube

Here is my sad, sad attempt at implementing your coaching advice. I think my knees are getting out earlier, but I just can't keep the damn things still on the way up. I don't know why. It's frustrating. The first rep may be the finest rep I've ever managed, thanks to your help, but the rest are all over the place despite my best efforts to keep my knees in the same place.

I was supposed to do 260 today, but after a couple reps it was obvious that I wasn't going to be able to even try to use the cues you gave, so I lowered it to 225.

Not sure where to go from here. If there was an SS Coach in my area, I would be at their gym freakin tomorrow morning, paying whatever. I live in the Twin Cities, MN. You would think with the millions of people who live here at least one would want to be an SS Coach.

starting strength coach development program
    Your first rep was fine. Make them all look like that. And watch the TUBOW video.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast