starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 1RM not moving

Default Deadlift 1RM not moving

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been frustrated lately at my deadlifts. I lift semi-sumo style and as a recent example have hit 365lbs for 6 reps. The next workout I hit 340lbs for 6 reps at an RPE of 8 (so 2 reps left in the tank).. After that I loaded up 405lbs and I couldn't get it for 1. The bar didn't budge. This seems like a general trend that I am making progress on my estimated 1RM as far as rep work in the 4-6 range goes, then I get to triples and lower and the weight keeps capping out aroung 395lbs. Any suggestoins?

You have provided almost none of the details we would need to try to figure out what's going on. Current programming, nutrition and sleep, height and weight, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You have provided almost none of the details we would need to try to figure out what's going on. Current programming, nutrition and sleep, height and weight, etc...
    I'm sorry Michael. I was more curious as to what could in general cause a discrepancy such as the one above, since having a 6RM equal to 92% of one's 1RM seems bizarre. I'm sure things like more calories, gaining weight, etc. would help drive progress in general but I don't think they really speak to the specific relationship between 6RM and 1RM that I'm interested in. Have you ever dealt with such an odd ratio before? I've heard that many people find sumo easier to rep out at a given % of their 1RM, but 92% just seems bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I'm sorry Michael. I was more curious as to what could in general cause a discrepancy such as the one above, since having a 6RM equal to 92% of one's 1RM seems bizarre. I'm sure things like more calories, gaining weight, etc. would help drive progress in general but I don't think they really speak to the specific relationship between 6RM and 1RM that I'm interested in. Have you ever dealt with such an odd ratio before? I've heard that many people find sumo easier to rep out at a given % of their 1RM, but 92% just seems bizarre.
    He asked you a question in attempting to respond properly to your initial question. I suggest you answer it.

Good God, this is silly.

Stop focusing on percentages and RPE and start focusing on consistent programming.

And for goodness sake, provide some details of what YOU ARE DOING to the guys that can help you.

I'm tempted to just lock this thread after your response. Why do you think I asked you to provide that info?

I'm tempted to just lock this thread after your response. Why do you think I asked you to provide that info?
    Okay, sorry again. My worry was just that this could shift the focus from the nature of my question.

Current programming: a modified version of her powerlifting to win intermediate program 2 from powerliftingtowin.com

Nutrition: cutting weight. Currently on 1800kcal 5 days a week and 2400kcal 2 days a week. Not ideal for strength gains but I've generally heard that higher reps usually suffer more than lower reps from caloric restriction, and my other lifts don't seem to suffer from this ratio.

Sleep: 6.5-9 hours a night

Height and weight: 6'1, ~175lbs. Again, not ideal for strength but can't see how it would be the cause of the specific ratio I'm referring to.

---

My best guess is that I'm taking advantage of a favourable positioning at lower reps that I can't maintain at higher reps. That or the fact that the sticking point in sumo is breaking he bar off the ground means that the lift fails or succeeds at that moment with the remaining ROM imparting little fatigue (and consequently becoming easier to Rep out).

Okay, sorry again. My worry was just that this could shift the focus from the nature of my question.
    The nature of your question?!
    inigo-montoya_that-word.jpg

You asked a question regarding your own personal issues with the deadlift. You said you were frustrated and asked for suggestions.

Let me explain what you did not do. You did not ask a theoretical question about whether there are any physiological reasons why, under conditions of optimal programming and recovery, a lift's estimated 1RM, based on reps in the 4-6 range, doesn't match what actually happens. And yes, there are.

But you didn't do that. You were frustrated about your own lack of top-end progress and asked for help. What you STILL don't seem to understand is that details very often found within the answers to those questions play a large role in answering your question. The vast, vast, overwhelming majority of the time it's not a special snowflake physiological reason but a simple issue of programming and/or recovery.

Izzy is a thoughtful and intelligent programmer, but I have absolutely no idea if your training history and level of advancement are a match for the Intermediate 2 template. You're under-eating for recovery - you're CUTTING weight at 6'1" 175 for god's sake! - and don't think there could be a connection because of something you've heard. You suggest your issues with higher weight are a general trend but the way you tell it, it sounds like you tried a new 1RM right after pulling a fairly challenging set for 6 reps and are surprised you couldn't suddenly get it, while underfed.

Maybe after three years of running this Coaches Q&A board I am becoming as irascible as Rip. But maybe you're being willfully ignorant of obvious things that almost anyone who's been doing this a few years could tell you, in hopes that you are somehow the special snowflake.

starting strength coach development program

Maybe after three years of running this Coaches Q&A board I am becoming as irascible as Rip.

But maybe you're being willfully ignorant of obvious things that almost anyone who's been doing this a few years could tell you, in hopes that you are somehow the special snowflake.
    Which of those is more likely given the context of this thread? It's the latter, I'll tell you h'wut.