starting strength gym

Thread: Uneven Squat Check

Default Uneven Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, was hoping someone would be able to take a look at my form. Apologies in advance for the video quality, the blur disappears on the third rep. I know video should be from a rear-oblique angle, but the issue below is best seen from the rear. I do have a video of this exact same set from a rear-oblique angle which I filmed on a different device if it would be helpful, but I know I shouldn't post more than one video per request.

I noticed recently that my squats seem to be 'lop-sided', although I'm not sure if I'm imagining this or not. Is this something I need to be concerned about, and if so, is there anything I should be trying to fix it? It seems that if I don't think about the bar, the right hand side will 'dip' at the bottom of the rep very noticeably. I seem to be able to improve this somewhat by concentrating on the bar going up equally, but there still seems to be a 'twist' or 'kick' to the right in my hips/leg/back. This is at my current work set weight of 75kg:

Squats 1 02 2016 - YouTube

Thanks for any advice!

The video you linked has been removed.

Sorry, I originally posted the wrong video, correct one is at Squats 01.02.2016 - YouTube

Tough to say a lot from this squat based on the angle you provided besides the fact that it looks heavy, you need to get tighter and your elbows are way too high. Widen your grip a little, drop your elbows until your wrists are straight. This may help with some of the upper back rounding that is happening. Please read the sticky and refilm.

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. I tried using a wider grip and dropping my elbows on Wednesday, however, this immediately caused a pain in my left shoulder / delt / tricep to return. I know from previous experience in January that this pain got worse and worse until I narrowed my grip, at which point it disappeared after about a week. In the below video taken on Friday I went back to the narrow grip, and focused my gaze at a point on the skirting board - I think this is keeping my upper back from rounding? Are there any other problems with elbows this high if there is no pain and the upper back can be kept extended? It seems to work for me, but I'm well aware that doesn't mean it's ideal or even safe.

My main concern is still that the bar is rising unevenly, and that my back might be twisting or turning on the way up. This is most noticeable on rep 4, the left side of the bar seems to move forward on the way up before coming back into line at the top. The heavier the weight feels, the worse this seems to get. Would you think this is technique related, or anatomy related? Now that the weights are getting heavy for me I'm concerned that any slight deviations like this are going to end up with something terrible happening, like my spine simultaneously and spontaneously imploding / exploding. Or maybe just a slipped disc. Video is here: Squat 12.02.2016 - YouTube

Thanks again for any help.

starting strength coach development program
    Your stance is a little too wide and your toes pointed out a little too much. Take a shoulder width stance and point the toes out at 30 degrees, not 45. This will encourage your knees to go forward a little more early in the descent, which is desirable. Your shins are almost vertical in your latest video. Watch the video on how to told the bar on this site, too. See if if helps.

You are not twisting in any meaningful fashion, either.