starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean follow up

Default Power Clean follow up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Two weeks ago I started this thread

http://startingstrength.com/resource...lean-help.html

I wanted to follow up with a recent set. I can see there is still *some* early bend, but I think it looks like an improvement. Am I off base?

2.1 Power Cleans at 175lbs. - YouTube

Your arms bend a little early and the bar loops away from you. Keep your arms straighter, stay over the bar for longer, and keep the bar closer. Also, your feet don't break contact from the ground and almost scoot narrower when you land. Go a little wider when you land. Your feet will ideally wind up in a squat stance so that your power cleans could smoothly transition to full cleans should you want to do so.

I forgot how to do math correctly. I misloaded the bar. So my work sets are garbage.

But I want to do what I can to keep this thread alive. I took some pictures of the hang and jump positions. Does everything look ok here?

Hang:

Jump:

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Does everything look ok here?
    Yep.

Am I just that unexplosive (not sure if that is the right word) that I do not know how I can fully open my hips, knees, and ankles from that jump position? It feels like it would be all ankles, unless I heave the bar with my back, which is what I pretty much do anyways.

For shits last night, I did a few cleans with a much wider grip and lighter weight. I have my middle fingers on the first rings. This too me looks more like a clean, but is that because of the light weight and less about the hand position?

2.8 clean - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Am I just that unexplosive (not sure if that is the right word) that I do not know how I can fully open my hips, knees, and ankles from that jump position? It feels like it would be all ankles, unless I heave the bar with my back, which is what I pretty much do anyways.
    I cannot say for sure how explosive you are. However, if you do a standing vertical jump, you come up on to your toes and leave the ground. The same thing can be done while holding a weight. You just have to make it happen.

For shits last night, I did a few cleans with a much wider grip and lighter weight. I have my middle fingers on the first rings. This too me looks more like a clean, but is that because of the light weight and less about the hand position?

2.8 clean - YouTube
    That is a wideish grip, but there is nothing wrong with it. I'd like to see you trying to jump a little more still.