starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check please?

Default Squat check please?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last set of 5 at 305.

Clearly left 'em a bit high, and it looks like my head is coming up a bit. What else am I missing?

Yeah, many of those squats were more than a bit high. You are almost certainly going to need to take weight off the bar and go a lot deeper. You need to get out of the habit of shifting your weight on to your toes. Before you start every lift, you go up on to your toes and start your descent. You often drift on to your toes further as you go down. You need to stay in your mid foot. Also, you need to drive your butt up. You are lifting your chest. How far are you from WFAC?

Thanks, Tom. Both for the response and the forbearance for my not putting this in the Technique forum; regretfully caught that after hitting the 'send' button. I'm 2 hrs from WFAC, but only about 30 minutes from Saginaw... Darin Deaton at Fort Worth S&C is an easy drive from here.

Up on the toes.. wow. Obvious, but I didn't see it. I wasn't feeling the forward weight shift... suspect I've been doing that all along and it's gotten where it feels normal. I think I could use a little coaching! I came to the same conclusion on the weight. I moved Sunday's session down to 280 from 305 and I was getting much better depth, but was completely wiped out at the end of the session. Still not quite there, but closer.

Most of those are still well above parallel and you are still on your toes almost the whole time. You lift your heels off the ground prior to some reps. You are looking forward on the way up and your knees appear to be bent at the top. Your squat is still troubled at the moment. Stand up all the way at the top. Fully extend the knees every time. You need to stop bouncing on to your toes prior to reps. Keep your feet nailed to the floor. Do not allow your weight to shift into your toes. Keep your chin down on the way up. Stop lifting your chest and drive your butt up. Go see Darin.