starting strength gym

Thread: Bar path apps

Default Bar path apps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I took a couple of videos (power clean and press) using an app that draws your bar path and noticed that my bar path is far from vertical. The sad true is that I don't know how to fix it. Are those videos useful for your analysis or a plain video is just fine?

They can be of use for some things, but they are not infallible. There are many caveats when doing video analysis. Post a video of your clean without the bar path traces.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiogodoymd View Post
    I took a couple of videos (power clean and press) using an app that draws your bar path and noticed that my bar path is far from vertical. The sad true is that I don't know how to fix it. Are those videos useful for your analysis or a plain video is just fine?
    There's alot of things that can distort what the path looks like in relation to the lifter. It mean, if it moves out, its moving out. . . if it moves, it moves in. That doesn't change of course.

BUT, If its tracking the tip of the bar, you have to remember the bar tip is 3 1/2 feet from the center of the bar (between your hands), so any slight angle will put the bar path more in front or behind you.
    If the camera is set real close, the bar path will appear grossly exaggerated. . . .wider and taller.

You have to get DEAD ON from the side. Best is to place camera pretty far back away from the lifter, and then zoom back in. If your camera/phone has digital zoom will lose resolution quality of course.

Some bar path trackers look at the entire face of the plate, plus the bar tip. The software compares how the image of the plate changes (or 'morphs') from frame to frame, then calculates the center.

Problem is with the side view the plate blocks alot of the lifter's body. I'd do what Tom says and post both, plus one shot from a 45 front view.

You are staring with the bar slightly forward of the midfoot and kicking it forward a little more right as you start your pull. That is the primary cause of the non-vertical bar path. Start with the bar an inch from your shins and don't move the bar once your shins touch it on the setup.