starting strength gym

Thread: Next steps Advice for Advanced Novice

Default Next steps Advice for Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches,

question about my next steps: I've been running SS for the past 4 months. Current stats are 22 y/o, 5'7", went from 145-174 lbs, current lifts are 330x5x3 squat, 227.5x5x3 bench, 145x5x3 press, 140x3x5 PC, and 330x5x1 deadlift. I reset my squat once at 300 lbs and moved to advanced novice, gained another few lbs of BW, and got my squat up to where it is now (330x5x3). Reset my DL once and moved to alternating DL and PC every other workout. Squats are currently getting grindy so I foresee a second stall soon. In your experience, for someone my age and training level, would it be best to reset once I stall again and move to the one day on and two days off template, or would you advise me to begin the TM for my squats? Additionally, Once my press and bench stall for the first time, would you recommend resetting 10% and continuing the SS template, or moving them to the TM template? Thank you for all the work you put into this forum!

Zack

I would probably move to a top set on the squats and two back offs for a little while. Go for a set of 5 and then 2x5 at 95% of that. You may want to do this before you stall out. It may buy you another couple of weeks before going to a TM-style template. I am pissed at you for being 22 and getting started with this more than 10 years before I did. Enjoy the ride, man.

Awesome. I'll try that. Also, for pressing, should I switch to 3x3 before they stall?

I'm lucky that I found SS and Rippetoe early on in my lifting career. I fooled around for quite some time, but I am now convinced that Ripp's training philosophy is hands-down the most efficient method for increasing strength. All my friends ask how I've managed to get strong so quickly, to which I respond by pointing them here. I can't wait to see how far I take my strength.

Thanks, Tom!

I would got to top sets and backoffs with fives there before 3x3. Nine reps is probably not enough volume.

Awesome. Thank you. Today I tried squatting 335 but could only only muster a tough set of 4. I then finished off with 2 sets of 3. I now want to switch my squats to the TM. However, I feel a bit burned out. Should I take a few days off or at a low intensity before beginning TM to give myself a deload? Or should I just start TM intensity day with lower weights than my best LP 5x3 as a deload? Thanks again!

starting strength coach development program
    The TM is a hard road, but it works. Here's what you do to make sure you transition effectively:

Set your first intensity day at 315 or 320 pounds. You read that correctly. We are taking 15 pounds off your last successful 3x5, so we'll probably call that 315 for now.
    Calculate your volume day at 90% of that (around 280 or 282.5).
    Add five pounds a go to intensity. Add a little less than that to volume each time.
    Eat a lot. Don't be afraid to get bigger. The TM becomes very taxing on recovery after a while.

It will take you four weeks before you handle your previous 3x5 for a set of 5. That's fine. This will give you the lead in you need to successfully run the TM for several more months. Your first volume day will feel light and that is generally exactly what you need when stepping off the end of a linear progression.