starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Becoming a starting strength coach

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Get your squat up to something well above the people around you. When they ask what you are doing, offer to help them.
    I do think that your own training and training consistency are very important. You might not even need to get to a particularly notable weight, but you will garner interest and attention if people see you regularly training, making progress, and generally being agreeable in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by MissusTufnel View Post
    Did you get another certification in order to coach a wide range of people? Were you being paid, or did you wrangle whoever you could and volunteered your time?

I've only been exposed to lifting through SS, and it does seem that all other credentials are crap, and I'm wondering if one didn't have an SS credential, and no other initials after your name, how would one get people to let a person take their money in exchange for coaching? Does a person get one of the meaningless crap credentials just so others will take her seriously? (Even though they shouldn't because the credential you do hold isn't a good measure of your worth as a coach...)
    I did not get any other credentials prior to the SSC. I coached a lot of people for free or for next to nothing. I decided to get proactive about finding different people to coach and started offering to help them if they'd commit to training for at least 6-8 weeks. I offered to teach a strength class at my gym, and since I have been there for so long, they just let me try it. When you're trying to find ways to coach, I think it's important to know that you can fairly easily find people who will pick your brain or want your help for one session or to just teach them everything they need to know about squatting right now. I had to offer my help so they clearly understood that this was NOT a relaxed, one time affair. I really needed people I could coach through weeks of training, teaching them the lifts, and then consistently evaluating them and helping them through some ups and downs. Once people saw that I was serious about coaching, more and more people were interested. I also kept thinking about who I was coaching. At one point I decided I needed some younger guys, so I just offered to coach a couple I knew were already interested in getting stronger. They are poor, but excited to have a "coach", so I coached, they worked hard and brought me more coffee than any one person could ever drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    Thank you for sharing your story on this. I'm motivated to become a starting strength coach myself without the background in physics, A/P, etc. At least not as much as I think I should have. Only AP physics in high school and an engineering class as well as the bare minimum of A/P needed to become NASM certified ( a waste of $600 so far.)

I have only been coaching myself and girlfriend through this model fairly strictly with none of that "I'm the exception to the rule." I'm hesitant to correct people at the gym on form and whatnot but confident I would know what needs to be said. I am offering as much free coaching to some people as I can for experience. Hopefully this and studying aggressively to the point where I'm able to verbatimly repeat what's said in the book as a consequence. I'll attend the seminars when I have the money and take the test as many times as necessary to pass. I'll share more detail when I become a SSC myself (;
    You sound determined! Good. I read a lot-Netter, Brooks and Fahey, made a sister who teaches physics give me a review course and answer all my questions, and took a physiology course on coursera.com. I also can't emphasize enough the value of coaching people over weeks and months. There's a big difference between knowing the text in Starting Strength and being able to appropriately coach some in real time and over many sessions. I am not saying this is you, but you want to make sure you understand enough about the lifts/coaching that you are not someone who stands there and just yells "knees!" over and over. You want to have plenty of time seeing the lifts with plenty of people and offering clear evaluation.

I became a personal trainer at the YMCA in East Lansing, MI in 2006. I had coached and taught hockey for years prior to that. I earned an ACE Personal Training cert to get my first job at the Y. At the time it helped me brush up on basic anatomy, human bio, physiology, and exercise phys stuff. I always had clients do the big lifts back when I was a pin setter and ultramarathon, but I certainly had no idea how to perform, much less coach the lifts properly.

Fast forward 2010, I decide to quit my full-time job to open a 600 square foot training studio with a power rack, a bar, and plates. Before I opened I blew my back out picking up a sock in my son's nursery and was laid up on the coach for a week unable to walk. While laid up I read the Dan Duane article and discovered Starting Strength. I decided I should probably read the book, so I ordered the 2nd edition.

As soon as I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I was fired up. I read it and re-read it many, many times. I starting coaching my new clients immediately on what I was learning. It helped that I had just opened my own private facility and could do whatever I wanted. I ran the program myself. In my free time (which I had a lot more of back in those days) I read the book, all the articles, everything on Rip's Q and A, and whatever else I could get my hands on.

After a year flew down to WFAC to take seminar in June, 2012. It was the famous Rachel Crass seminar. Jordan Feigenbaum was there too. He passed, I failed miserably. That guy really annoys me

Went home butt hurt and thought about maybe just doing my own thing instead. Luckily I came to my senses. I started re-reading the book and applying what all the coaches yelled at me about during the seminar. I coached A LOT. Re-taught everyone that I previously coached incorrectly. I watched videos, studied more, and went to a training camp. I also watched 'The Coaching Eye' video by Stef a few times.

The next year in June of 2013 flew down to WFAC and passed the platform. Wrote the essay and passed that as well.

I have learned a lot from my experience. I have mentored several others who went on to earn their SSC's or are in the process of preparing to do so.

You need to coach a lot of people and spend a lot of time under the bar. It is tough to get all the coaching experience necessary, but you have to find a way. I opened a 600 foot place BEFORE I EVEN READ THE BOOK and it has worked out pretty well for me.

You must run the program yourself and get stronger. Get coaching feedback on your lifts. Find out if you are doing things right or not.

Read that article Rip posted this week about academic prep. That tells a lot of the story, but reading and studying is just one part of it. You need to actually coach a lot of real people in the real world, and they need to be from a variety of different backgrounds. You need to coach old, fat people and hot, yoga-type, overly flexible younger women. You also need to coach football players who are athletic and wambats who are movement-challenged. Coaching a variety of different people will teach you a lot.

You need to train your eye to look for deviations from the model and figure out how to fix them quickly.

There are a LOT of people who need to learn this stuff. Start convincing them to lift and coach them. Start with friends and family, and maybe the guy at the gas station or the waitress at breakfast. If you can't get people to let you coach them for free than you have no business becoming a professional coach. Part of the process is being able to influence others. If you can't do it than stay out of the coaching business. Stick with delivering pizzas.

If you are serious I would make it a priority to sign up for a training camp, visit a SS Gym, and/or work with a SSC. It would be smart to do all three. And attend a seminar. The more you do to prepare the better.
    Last edited by Chris Kurisko; 05-01-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Consolidated

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Get your squat up to something well above the people around you. When they ask what you are doing, offer to help them.
    This is pretty much how and why anyone has asked me for advice. Also, a few weeks ago a college age girl saw me doing power cleans. She was very impressed (which she shouldn't be because my technique is a mess but she doesn't know that). I told her I'd be happy to teach her if she had some time. It turns out she signed up for a study being done by John Petrizzo at her school. Over the next few weeks I'd see her and ask how her training was going. She was waffling between bodybuilding, running, and powerlifting. Anyway, last Friday I just flat out offered to coach her for free, if she would dedicate 3 days per week for 3 weeks. She was super excited and kept thanking me. We'll see where this goes. I told her she could pursue whatever she wanted training wise in the future, but building a base of strength first would only help any future endeavors. I also told that she was helping me as much as I was helping her. Thanks everyone for all the advice and sharing your stories.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123