starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (struggling to get hip drive)

Default Squat form check (struggling to get hip drive)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been training for 3.5 months now. I'm struggling now with squats, leading to a sore back due to how the reps are completed. Body weight is currently at 58kg, gaining around 0.5kg a week.

80kg x 5 set - 80kg x 5 newer - YouTube (I hope the angle is okay, sorry if not).

I can see myself that I'm using my lower back far too much. This seems to have become a consequence of the weight going up, as with weights like 70-75kg this doesn't happen to the same extent. I recently did a deload to 72.5kg and worked back up (this is the second time). But it seems to be the same.

How can I improve my squat form? Is there any other exercises related which can help i.e front squats?

Thank you very much

Aside from being able to tell you that you are looking up, how would I be able to comment on this squat? All I have is a view of the plates that completely obscure you throughout your reps. Please read the sticky. Also, you need to make plans to weigh more than 58 kg.

IGNORE PRIOR REPLIES :

This is my latest set 77.5kgx5. I still can't control the Damn eye gaze but I thought the reps were better overall.

77.5x5 - YouTube

I have noticed I'm a below depth, I don't mind this as there doesn't seem to be any low back rounding (wink). Though I have noticed more perceived quad use if I limit the depth.

Do you have an explanation of why this is the case? Thanks

You can definitely control the position of your head. You just have to make yourself do so. Going too deep is a problem that is explored thoroughly in the book. You are relaxing to get that depth and we don't want that. At 77.5 kg, you do not need to worry about whether you perceive the quads to be working harder. You need to worry about having 150 kg on the bar. Also, your video is still almost useless from a form check perspective. Read the sticky, as I suggested above, and film it correctly, or don't post it.

Sorry about the video, I would give an excuse but I should just be more specific to the people I ask to do it.

So you would reccommend not going quite as deep? Any comment on if my chest is rising? I understand the view isn't amazing but my back/ the squat is atleast visible.

Thanks

*I'll also just add I had a read of the book in the squat section and can't seem to find specifics about going too deep (only things regarding not going deep enough etc). Do you know the section?
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 05-24-2016 at 03:58 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Your challenges will be to give your volunteer camera people appropriate direction and to reread the squat chapter in its entirety. I am currently quite pressed for time and am unwilling to look in the book to find the correct passage, although I could probably find it in three to five minutes. These are your tasks, my friend.