starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, please

Default Squat form check, please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    41 (42 on Sunday). Did SS 3 years ago until I had changes at work that took away almost all of my time to train and all of my motivation. Finally moved to a new job and city etc and got back into the hom a few months ago. Today I got to the point (with my squats at least) where I stopped 3 years ago and I thought I should have someone who knows what they're doing take a look.
    Squat 315lb. 3rd set. 12may2016 - YouTube

3rd set at 315 lb. no specific problems that I've had with the squat. Focusing on keeping my knees out and hip drive

Thanks

Control you descent and don't fall into the bottom of the squat. Also, stop lifting your chest. Drive your ass up the whole way to the top. This means you may lean over slightly more. Also, get some weightlifting shoes. You will love them.

Thank you. Will work on not lifting the chest and hip drive. The shoes are not cushioned (which is why I use them) but i have been considering weightlifting shoes as I think they'd be more stable, especially in the heel. Also have a belt coming.

Follow-up. My first workout since your feedback. 330lb. Trying to control the descent and keep from lifting my chest on the way up. I feel like I am fighting to keep my head and shoulders from popping up but feel stronger in the hips. Still need to get my hips back more at the start of the descent.

23mat2015 - YouTube

Thanks again

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

If I may chime in Tom:

Chaloney, review this video where Rip shows the correct grip. Rather than having your hands wide and the elbows high as they are in your video, try to match the grip demonstrated- a narrow grip with lower elbows. This provides a reliable shelf while allowing you to keep your thoracic spine in tight extension. Wide and high elbows like you have tend to result in a soft upper back. You don't want that. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by chaloney View Post
    Follow-up. My first workout since your feedback. 330lb. Trying to control the descent and keep from lifting my chest on the way up. I feel like I am fighting to keep my head and shoulders from popping up but feel stronger in the hips. Still need to get my hips back more at the start of the descent.

23mat2015 - YouTube

Thanks again
    These are fairly similar to your previous squat. They are not terrible and you did slightly better on the descent, but my comments above still apply. Also, drive your knees our harder and continue to do so at the bottom and on the way up.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. Thanks.