starting strength gym

Thread: Bench check

Default Bench check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Tom,

Your advice on the press was great. I videoed myself doing the press today with a lower weight as you recommended, but I see I haven't yet succeeded in implementing all your recommendations, so I'll hold off on asking for a check on that for now.

Here's my second set of 5 X 100 kg that I did today. It's not clear in this video with my black shorts on the black bench, but I can assure you that my rear is in contact with the bench 100% of the time from beginning to end.

I'm looking forward to your top advice again. THANKS!!!!!!
    Bench - YouTube

Decent bench presses. You have a hell of an arch. It looks like your butt may be coming off the bench, but I cannot say for sure due to the lighting. Be more careful unracking the bar. Unrack with locked elbows and then pause briefly once the bar is in balance over the shoulder joint. Then, take a big breath in, hold it, and begin to move. Hold your breath for the duration of the lift. Right now you are breathing in on the way down and letting air out before your elbows are at full extension. Only breath at the top. Your grip is narrow, but if your shoulders are creaky, that may the width that works best for you.

Thanks for the valuable feedback Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You have a hell of an arch.
    Is that good or bad? I had assumed that was the "objective" being that it gives better leverage, and is safer on the shoulders.

It looks like your butt may be coming off the bench, but I cannot say for sure due to the lighting.
    As stated, I'm 100% sure my butt is grounded. Next video (if there will be one) I will try to do with colored shorts to provide a contrast that makes the video clearer.

Be more careful unracking the bar. Unrack with locked elbows and then pause briefly once the bar is in balance over the shoulder joint. Then, take a big breath in, hold it, and begin to move.
    Will do coach.

Hold your breath for the duration of the lift. Right now you are breathing in on the way down and letting air out before your elbows are at full extension. Only breath at the top.
    I will try this, but I don't yet understand why. It feels natural to me to exhale as I am pushing through the last couple inches before full extension. If you could elaborate, or direct me to more in depth explanations on this point that would be appreciated.

Your grip is narrow, but if your shoulders are creaky, that may the width that works best for you.
    Yeah. I'm not used to using this bar. I usually grip a drop wider.

Thanks again! It is reassuring that my bench is decent. Especially considering my press is a long way from where it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonason Herschlag View Post
    Is that good or bad? I had assumed that was the "objective" being that it gives better leverage, and is safer on the shoulders.
    A bigger arch, provided that it does not bother your back is an advantage in the bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonason Herschlag View Post
    I will try this, but I don't yet understand why. It feels natural to me to exhale as I am pushing through the last couple inches before full extension. If you could elaborate, or direct me to more in depth explanations on this point that would be appreciated.
    The hows and whys of the Valsalva maneuver are covered in the book and I recently published a video on this site where Dr. Stef Bradford goes into the specifics. Her talk is focused on the Valsalva and stroke, but she does allude to some of the performance benefits, too. In short, air is support and a hard Valsalva held throughout the lift increases motor unit recruitment. If you are doing things that make you more comfortable under the bar, you are probably doing something incorrectly.