starting strength gym

Thread: Struggling with squats

Default Struggling with squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age: 20, 205lb, about a month and a half in the program.

I've been trying to focus on leaning over and getting the right depth lately. Today was 200lb and I'm not sure I was getting deep enough. I may be confused as to what to look for and just psyching myself out. My last workout I did 220 and only got 4 reps. Both workouts I felt my upper and lower back rounding hard but again I may be psyching myself out here. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

5/23 220lbx4
    Squat 220 - YouTube
    Last edited by Ericsquats; 05-26-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Thou shalt readeth the sticky and pick one, not two nor three, but the number one, being the number that precedeth two, videos upon which you are desirous of comment. Amen.

My bad! I'll sacrifice three sheep and a virgin to make it up to you.

Just the third one please. It's the heaviest at 220 for me so it probably provides the most info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    Age: 20, 205lb, about a month and a half in the program.

I've been trying to focus on leaning over and getting the right depth lately. Today was 200lb and I'm not sure I was getting deep enough. I may be confused as to what to look for and just psyching myself out. My last workout I did 220 and only got 4 reps. Both workouts I felt my upper and lower back rounding hard but again I may be psyching myself out here. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wednesdays workout 5/25 Squat 200x5
    Squat - YouTube

Squat - YouTube

Heres Mondays workout also 5/23 220lbx4
    Squat 220 - YouTube
    They're all high. There's more, but I will let you pick one and the actual coaches address from there.

I warned you! But did you listen to me and read the sticky? Oh no! It's just a silly little coaches forum, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsquats View Post
    My bad! I'll sacrifice three sheep and a virgin to make it up to you.

Just the third one please. It's the heaviest at 220 for me so it probably provides the most info.
    It looks like the weight is forward of your midfoot and you are above parallel. You are overdoing the lean over thing and you are flexing your spine on the ascent. Keep the bar in balance over the mid foot. Go deeper. Lean over as a function of staying in balance instead of allowing the bar to go forward. Drop your elbows some.

Thanks for the critique, I'll apply it as best I can. Deloaded a lot to focus on form and advice given lately.
    Asking for a bit of programming and form advice please.
    After posting the last form check I went to deload to work on form and tweaked my lower left back on the warm up with 105.. Assuming It was due to bad form.
    Took a couple days off, came back with bar squats, light deadlifts.
    6-2 restarted with 135x5x3 w/belt (thought I needed to from injury)
    6-4 145x5x3 no belt

I plan on making 10lb jumps until 165 and then 5lb jumps to be conservative. Basically wondering if that's a good idea. Not sure if more info is really needed than this for this question at least.

Here's the last set at 145x5 today.
    Squat 145x5 - YouTube

Thanks in advance for all advice and whatever you have time to answer.

starting strength coach development program
    You are descending too slowly on some of those and not going deep enough. Go deeper. Otherwise they look fine. I think that absent pain or injury, you need to get your squat up to 385 for 5. I cannot imagine 145 felt very heavy. Add 10 pounds a go until it feels like you actually have to do some work against the bar.