starting strength gym

Thread: back off period question

Default back off period question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    M 27 yo 6' 230, novice linear progression

I am nearing weights that will require a back off period as described in PPST3 for the squat and deadlift. I know this because this is my 3rd time approaching these weights and I stalled at roughly the same weights the last 2 times. It's my 3rd time due to illness and injury the first 2 times.

In PPST3, the hypothetical lifter makes 5 lb jumps back to the weight that he stalled at. I've heard it recommended by an SS coach or two that 10 lb jumps are permissible. Which one would you recommend? I used 10 lb jumps both previous times in the past and it was rough, though the weights did feel lighter.

One last question if it's ok: I only started doing PC's recently and alternate them with deadlifts like you're supposed to. So my deadlift is over 315 but my PC is around 120 lbs. Should I still move to deadlifting every 6th workout once I stall with deadlifts, or should I keep deadlifting every other time?

Thanks for your time

It would help if I had some more information on what you are lifting. However, after the first time you legitimately stall on the squat, I recommend a 10% to 12% deload, the insertion of a light day, and going back up in 5 lb jumps. The whole point is to allow yourself more recovery. No need to rush headlong into a wall.

Where did you get the idea that you only deadlift once every six workouts? That probably won't get you very far. When you are ready, deadlift once every three or four workouts.

Of course. I just squatted a surprisingly easy 250 yesterday, and have stalled around 270-275 in the past. However, this time around I'm managing my recovery and food a lot better (including not deadlifting every workout), so I'm guessing my stall weight might be higher this time. For deadlift I pulled an easy - ish 325 most recently, and have stalled at 350-355 in the past.

Roger that. I noticed with the back off example in PPST3 the lifter continues to make 5 lb jumps well past his stall weight, without the immediate addition of a light day. Would that be your recommendation as well and add the light day later on? Or would it be to add a light day immediately in addition to the 10-12% back off?

My apologies, I got my math wrong. I know eventually it'll go from alternating deadlift and PC, to deadlift/PC/back ext. Chinups... I know where in the book I can clarify that order... but what I wasn't sure about is my programming error in not adding PC'S sooner. Theoretically, I will end my deadlift LP much, much sooner than my PC LP. Do I make the switch from deadlifting every other workout, to every 3 or 4 anyway? I guess I have to if I want my deadlift to keep going up, right?

Thanks again for taking the time

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Would that be your recommendation as well and add the light day later on? Or would it be to add a light day immediately in addition to the 10-12% back off?
    I think that for most people, when you hit your first genuine plateau, starting back with a light day in there is good practice.

I happen to despise back extensions and don't do them at all, nor do I have my trainees do them. I think that something like deadlift/chin/power clean is a better way to go. You can chin a little every workout, if you like. When I was doing my novice LP, I did deadlift/chin/power clean/chin, so that I was pulling heavy every fourth workout. I think that once it is heavy, deadlifting once every three or four workouts is fine, but definitely not every six. If you are pulling 325 now and if by adding 5 pounds a week, once a week keeps you going for a while - do that.

Ok sounds good.

Yes I hate them too, and my gym doesn't have a back extension thing anyway, so glad to hear you say that haha.

I actually got to my first two stalls at 350 by deadlifting 3x a week, without doing PC's. Interestingly enough, my squat and deadlift failed just a session apart on that incorrect regimen. Hopefully I can alternate deads and PCs for a while before switching up the programming like you say.

Thanks so much again
    Last edited by tfranc; 07-26-2016 at 01:12 PM.