starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Help

Default Deadlift Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to look this over. I was hoping to get some feedback on my Deadlift. Lately I had been training pulls (Deadlift and Power Clean) with a lower hip position, but that caused an injury in the lumbar spine. I also was High Bar Squatting, too, until today when I went back to the SS model of Squat. Saw a chiropractor, she cracked me and so forth. Today was the first time training in 2 weeks. I hope the link works:

275 x 5 - YouTube

Thanks again for the feedback.

You allow your spine to flex a little as you pull from the ground. I would want to see a video from hip height and slightly in front of you so that the plates don't obscure your shins to say something more.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I will get more footage this Thursday when I Deadlift again.

285 x 5 - YouTube

Here is this week's effort. I should probably give some background information about my training history. 29 years old, 6'0, 192lbs. I used to dabble in Powerlifting with the Canadian IPF affiliate, competed at 105kg/231lbs, but quickly got disgusted with the sport and ceased my participation as lifter and judge. I used to weigh 236lbs but came down to 192lbs to get back into playing Volleyball, my first sport. Current training is 2 days a week following a modified Volume and Intensity Day. Other days are spent playing Beach Volleyball. I plan to start training 3 days a week in the fall when the school year starts back up, when I'll be teaching and I'll be playing Volleyball 1-2x a week.

VD
    Squat 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5
    Chins BW x 3 x 8

ID
    Squat 1 x 5
    Press 1 x 5
    Deadlift 1 x 5

The bar is slightly in front of your mid-foot. Bring it back a little. This will result in your hips being a little higher than they are now. Really work to to arch your back harder. You almost get there, but as soon as you come under a load, you flex. Squeeze the bar off the ground. Right now, you are trying to get the thing off the ground fast. The first inch or two of the deadlift will be slow. That's okay. Work to stay tight as you drag the bar up your legs. It will feel like hard work and that is because it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The bar is slightly in front of your mid-foot. Bring it back a little. This will result in your hips being a little higher than they are now. Really work to to arch your back harder. You almost get there, but as soon as you come under a load, you flex. Squeeze the bar off the ground. Right now, you are trying to get the thing off the ground fast. The first inch or two of the deadlift will be slow. That's okay. Work to stay tight as you drag the bar up your legs. It will feel like hard work and that is because it is.
    Ok ridiculously off topic, and feel free not to approve it, but how the hell did his video get a copyright infringement on it from what I must assume was what was playing in the gym at the time? WTF? How the hell would anybody even know this?

Probably the same way Shazam can identify a song from a snippet. They have some way of creating a fingerprint of a song that can be quickly searched and compared. No humans are listening to the soundtracks of these videos.

In the meantime, we have Taylor Swift to see us through these dark days.

Thanks, Tom. I really appreciate the help. I screwed my back up about a month ago doing Power Cleans with a low hip start position because I thought: "Ah, give it a try, its not so evil." Turns out, it is an evil whore of a position.

Attempting now to pull with the SS style and no pain whatsoever, even though the technique needs to be refined.

starting strength coach development program
    Like a hot dog down a hallway, Jeez.

Not T.Swizzle's most flattering thumbnail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast