starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches,

Could you check out my form on squat in the video URL below? Feel free to ignore the second 2/3 (I did ready the sticky) - I included 3 sets of 5 and strung into one video, with different angles.

Squat form check - 8.12.16 - YouTube

These are light (135) sets due to some back (likely disc) issues arising from my unwise earlier program involving high-bar, ATG squats (with butt wink that I powered through even when I started getting discomfort - stupid). More detail on that available - I'll leave out for now to keep my post focused. I temporarily backed my squat (now low bar, not ATG) and deadlift back down to 135 and am building them back up in small increments as pain lessens and am doing all the things Louie Simmons recommends for the back - reverse hyper, hyper, ankle weights etc. After just a couple weeks, I think I'm already seeing some improvement in discomfort. Previously squat was about 230, deadlift 315.

Thanks much for the free service you all provide.
    Scott

Glad to hear your back is doing better after the pain.

More lean over on the way down, knees will not be quite as far forward. This may be an artifact of being a high bar squatter for a while.
    Think about moving a consistent, smooth speed throughout the rep; you're somewhat herky jerky here.
    Finally, simplify your walkout. 2-3 steps, even out your feet, and then get your breath and go. You spend an awful lot of time walking out and setting up. This will punish you when the weight gets heavier.

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, every issue you named probably stems from my precious form - some simple carry overs, others exaggerations of fixing the old issues.
    If you can briefly answer two more questions I'd appreciate it:
    Any particular cues for more forward lean that I could use to lean forward more while keeping a good bar path? The times I've consciously thought about it before, I've ended way far forward with an awful bar path. Do I just need to move my hips back more to compensate for increased lean? I'm sure I am just not visualizing the mechanics correctly in some way. I also realize per Rip that light weights may travel forward some until gravity straightens me out with more weight, so if that is not an issue at the current weight I'm using, I won't stress.

Second, I take it depth is OK? apologies if I'm worrying too much about depth - all those months of ATG high bar have made this fee high to me, and I'm still adjusting.
    Lastly, not a question - but I found an SI joint adjustment online that I used to get some pops/adjustment to occur. Immediate huge reduction in stiffness and discomfort. Here's to hoping that I was wrong about disc involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, every issue you named probably stems from my precious form - some simple carry overs, others exaggerations of fixing the old issues.
    You mean previous, not precious, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    If you can briefly answer two more questions I'd appreciate it:
    Any particular cues for more forward lean that I could use to lean forward more while keeping a good bar path? The times I've consciously thought about it before, I've ended way far forward with an awful bar path. Do I just need to move my hips back more to compensate for increased lean? I'm sure I am just not visualizing the mechanics correctly in some way. I also realize per Rip that light weights may travel forward some until gravity straightens me out with more weight, so if that is not an issue at the current weight I'm using, I won't stress.

Second, I take it depth is OK? apologies if I'm worrying too much about depth - all those months of ATG high bar have made this fee high to me, and I'm still adjusting.
    Lastly, not a question - but I found an SI joint adjustment online that I used to get some pops/adjustment to occur. Immediate huge reduction in stiffness and discomfort. Here's to hoping that I was wrong about disc involvement.
    1. You're right that at this lighter weight, the lifter/barbell system's COM will not approximate that of the barbell, so keeping the bar perfectly over mid-foot might feel weird and you'd technically be in better balance in a different configuration. But, at the very least until you get really good at keeping the bar over mid-foot, that's what you want to try to achieve even when it's lighter, as practice for assuming the right diagnostic angles when it's heavy.

This video may be useful: Correct Back Angle | On the Platform - YouTube

2. No, you're right, more than a few reps needed to be a bit deeper. Not a lot, but a little more depth is needed.

Yes, I meant previous - I think my squat form is at least a minute amount short of precious

So, I tried to incorporate the tips given when doing the sets in the video below.

Squat form check 8.17.16 - YouTube

Note that I, again, strung all sets together, figuring you can stop watching at any time - if this annoys anyone, I can truncate the next. I also excluded the walk-out, but I am still working on not fidgeting. Much-needed tip. I haven't officially started SS, so I am doing more sets here just for form's sake.

My self critique would be that back angle gets more horizontal as the sets go, but so does a forward bar path. I guess I am still not setting my hips back correctly, as in the video you posted. I know lumbar flexion is bad, but that a slight amount of pelvic movement is OK, so I am not sure exactly where these sets lie within that spectrum. I did try to stay mindful of less jerkiness here, but I realize it is only marginally better in that respect. I will keep refining.

For some reason, my biggest difficulty seems to be a simultaneous good bar path and horizontal back angle.

Do those comments sound about right? Are there any others you would make?

As before, thank you for all responses - your time and free critiques are much appreciated.

Scott

Narrow your stance. Stay back at the bottom. Your knees are sliding forward. Make the ascent originate with your hips. Drive your ass up, don't lift your chest.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. All of your suggestions have been very helpful. Just to speed along progress (squatting correctly has been a long-term labor for me), I enlisted the help of SS coach Mia Inman. We had our first session last night, which involved a good amount of TUBOW work. Super helpful. She had me slightly narrow my stance as suggested, focus on strong knee/hip movement the first 1/3 of the descent, and helped me find depth and avoid dive bombing into it.

I'm going to go do my homework for a while and will post another thread in a few weeks once I've had some time to refine all the major points made here.
    Thanks again coaches.

Mia is pretty damn cool. Glad you got to work with her.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Mia is pretty damn cool. Glad you got to work with her.
    Yes, she is - I recommend her very highly to anyone in the greater Cincinnati area where I live.