starting strength gym

Thread: Scapula Postion in the Squat

Default Scapula Postion in the Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, a question occurred to me today, possibly a stupid one, maybe not. When squatting do we want to pull the scapula down (depressed/towards your ass) or are they shrugged up? Now my assumption is also, that we want to squeeze the shoulders/scapula/elbows (take your pick really) as hard together as possible. So it's less "down or up?" and more "down and back or up and back?" but then upon reading Starting Strength again, I notice that the lifter isn't particularly cued to squeeze/retract the scapula. Although this might be because a close hand position is expected to pull them together anyway. So now I've just thoroughly confused myself.

Considering that if the scapulas are maximally retracted anyway and kept as tightly pulled together as possible that scapulas don't have much ROM either up or down this might be a pointless question. But I think it'll probably interesting anyway.

Also, do we care about the role of the lats in the squat? Because obviously if we do, that's going to affect the scapula position as well. I don't recall seeing much mention of it on these boards. I suspect not, but we'll see what everyone else thinks.

We don't generally cue the scapulae during the squat, although I do sometimes cue them in people that allow their upper backs to round. For most people, putting the shoulder into extension will retract the scapulae. In a properly done squat, the scapulae will be back and down, not shrugged up. For the majority of trainees, you never need to mention it. I don't know that I have ever cued anyone's lats in the squat. If the shoulders are in extension and someone is doing a hard valsalva while contracting the trunk musculature, the lats will take care of themselves. I don't want people pulling on the bar during a squat, nor do I want them trying to bend the bar around their backs.

Hum. I get the feeling this is the kind of conversation that would be much easier to have in person. Thank you for humouring me anyway.

Did I not answer your questions?