starting strength gym

Thread: Hip Flexor Issue

Default Hip Flexor Issue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coaches,

Last Thursday, I was attempting to squat a double at 465 (through a consult with Andy Baker, I'm using his 8/5/2 program). At the bottom of the second rep, I felt a "pop" for lack of a better term in my right hip flexor. This wasn't an "Oh Shit" pop, where I immediately felt like I had to get all the weight off the affected area. I actually tried to grind out the rep, but wasn't strong enough to do so. It was more like a "crack your creaky joints" pop. Over the next few days, the area has gotten very sore, and feels very much like the "interesting tendinitis" that accompanies knee slide that is described in the book.

Yesterday, I attempted to do my light day work, which was a set of 5 at 365. Again, in the hole, it feels like that same tendinitis, as I've had that before and cleaned it up. The pain (or maybe the hesitation from the pain) made these sets harder than they should have been. In general, hip flexion makes the pain worse, but I can move around fine throughout the day. Things like bending over to tie my shoe and picking up my leg to get in the car also make it hurt.

On the Will Morris pain scale (described here: Should I give up on low bar?), its probably a 3 during a squat workset, and a 0-1 the rest of the time. Additionally, there is no visible bruising in the area. For reference, I'm 6 foot, 210 lbs, and a later stage intermediate.

My main question is how to proceed. I know that treating tendinitis means lots of ibuprofen and cleaning up the form errors that caused in the first place. Muscle belly tears are rehabbed with the Starr protocol. However, I'm not sure what exactly I did so I don't really know how to proceed. Perhaps I should just train through it for now, and see what happens.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Let's see what the ibuprofen does. I am not sure what you did either, but you squatted 365 on this thing, so it is unlikely to be a serious tear. Strong work, however.

If warming up to your next heavy day starts to hurt worse, be cognizant of that. It is possible you will need a little back off to allow this to heal. Then again, if the magic of Vitamin I calms this thing down and you feel good, go forth in sin.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 08-24-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Tom. I'll carry on, and let pain be my guide.