starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Set of 3 at 245, filmed prior to reading suggestions so I can film again on friday if need be. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kS3ZpHSNvQ

Why only a set of three? Your knees need to be out more. Don't become more upright at the bottom. Stay leaned over and drive your butt up. Despite the fact that Asics markets those as weightlifting shoes, they are not, unfortunately. They squish.

Thanks for the input on the shoe advice, I'll work on that stuff.

It felt like I would miss the fourth rep so I didn't attempt it. Thanks again.

Find a weight for which you can do three sets of five. Then add from there.

I'm no coach, but #3 didn't look that hard. I bet you had #4 and #5 in you. If you're that worried about failing, set your safties right and try setting a couple down on the pins to accustom yourself. I've done that lately when this stuff got really hard and it's set my mind at ease and allowed me to attempt (and complete) reps that I didn't think I had in me.

Do you mean to set them a little high? so I would bottom out at the end or try to get them a hair below the bar at the bottom?

Safeties should be set a little below the bottom of your squat. This way they do not interfere with your set, but you don't have to fuck yourself up setting the bar down if you cannot stand back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    I'm no coach, but #3 didn't look that hard. I bet you had #4 and #5 in you. If you're that worried about failing, set your safties right and try setting a couple down on the pins to accustom yourself. I've done that lately when this stuff got really hard and it's set my mind at ease and allowed me to attempt (and complete) reps that I didn't think I had in me.
    I think he means practice failing a few times so your comfortable with it when the time comes that you do. Some advice I should probably take as well....

Shoes are on the way.

235x5x3 today, here is set 3

Squat 235x5 set 3/3 8/26 - YouTube
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 08-26-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Removal of a video link

starting strength coach development program
    Pick one video, please, as per the sticky, which I am sure you have read closely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast