starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check Please

Default Squat Check Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches-

If you would give me any feedback on my squat I would appreciate it!
    September 14, 2016 - YouTube

Also my basement is cramped so getting a 45 degree angle shot from the rear and side is difficult so I did this directly from the side. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

They're not deep enough, you're trying to keep your shins too vertical as you start to descend, and your back is flexing.

Re-read the section in the book about back position and watch the video here on the website. Apply it to your squat. Make sure your knees are out and go deeper, till you're below parallel. Let your knees bend as the lift initiates, and then keep them still once you're about halfway down.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    They're not deep enough, you're trying to keep your shins too vertical as you start to descend, and your back is flexing.

Re-read the section in the book about back position and watch the video here on the website. Apply it to your squat. Make sure your knees are out and go deeper, till you're below parallel. Let your knees bend as the lift initiates, and then keep them still once you're about halfway down.
    Coach Wolf, thanks for taking the time to look at my video! In regards to your comment about back position are you saying that my back angle isn't ideal and that I need to lean over more? Also are you able to expand on your comment about my back flexing? Is it my lumbar that you are seeing flexing? The entire back? I really try to use the valsalva and tighten all my muscles to keep my torso rigid. I'm pretty inflexible so when i approach the bottom of the squat it definitely becomes a fight to keep everything tight. Thanks again for your help!

I worked on setting my knees better.
    Squat 250x4 - YouTube

This is my last set and I pussed out on the last rep. Am I still having back flexion? I'm not seeing it. Also I think I'm not going deep enough. Thanks for any feedback!

You are kind of collapsing in to the bottom of the squat and then trying to retighten as you slowly ascend. Start your descent more quickly. Maintain that velocity and do not accelerate or relax at the bottom. Instead, focus on squeezing hard and get hellishly pissed as you turn around and come up. Think of ascending quickly while driving with your hips. Your entire back flexes just a touch on the way up. Think of maintaining good posture as you lean over. Chin down, chest up, lean over. Depth looks okay.

Would you be so kind to take a look at my squat again?
    225 x 5 - YouTube

I really tried to work on keeping my back tight, especially my lower back. I think my knees look a lot better.

starting strength coach development program
    Narrow your stance a little. Go a little deeper. Don't flex your wrists over the top of the bar. Try and keep them straight. Overall, not bad.