starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've lost some progress in my squats due to a toe injury, so my current working set is 221 lb.

Here's today's set.

Things I notice:

1) Buttwink, though it's unclear whether this is due to lumbar flexion, or a transition from hyperextension into neutral.

2) Perhaps I could stand to establish my knees an inch more forward (this would mean a more upright back angle and less hip flexion and might allow me to avoid transgressing into lumbar flexion territory)

3) Wasn't really using the stretch reflex at the bottom. This was my first set, and the third set (not video taped) felt much smoother coming out of the bottom.

Would appreciate any feedback!

The main thing is that you're over-extending at the top, can't maintain it, and go into a bit of flexion. Don't over-extend. Squeeze everything super tight before descending, and keep it tight the whole way down. Violently drive your hips up to change direction when you get just below parallel.

As far as your knees, it's hard to say for certain but they looked better after the first rep, in which it looked like you were trying to squat with nearly vertical shins.

Thank you, appreciate it, as always.