starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my 1st squat video. I started strength training 1/1/16 and had to force myself to stick to the low bar squat about 4 weeks ago because my progress was stuck. It's hard to lift heavy weight in uncomfortable positions (at first) without a coach to guide you. I wouldn't let the trainers at my gym walk my dog let alone give me squatting advice. The book has helped with my technique and I feel very comfortable under the bar now after taking the wider stance, pointing my toes out and tracking my knees in the direction of my feet. Thanks for you help and feed back. If I sent this video in twice I apologize, I wasn't sure if it sent and I didn't see it posted.

squat form 9 25 16 - YouTube

Good move not trusting the trainers at your gym with squatting advice. There is a 99.999% chance they have no idea what they're doing.

Lean over a little more, go an inch or two deeper, and really shove your knees out hard. And invest in a pair of lifting shoes, right away. You won't regret it.

And: Read the sticky before your next post.

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video and reply Michael. I will work on my depth, leaning over and shoving my knees out harder. Shoes already ordered.

To anyone trying to learn from these form checks I would say absolutely video yourself because I "felt" like I was going below parallel and obviously I'm not.

Update- I have been working on the above advice and not allowing my knees to cave in a little is a slight challenge. Shoving out hard with the knees gives me the feeling of sliding my butt back when I start up out of the hole, is this a normal result? I did notice watching Austin Baraki, MD on Instagram that it looks like he slides his butt back when starting up.

A little back angle change is not problematic. Too much is not good.