starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camcorder Recommendation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I used to use these around the gym back in the day and they'll work fine for what it sounds like you want to do: Amazon.com : Flip Mino Video Camera - Black, 2 GB, 1 Hour (1st Generation) : Camcorder Bundles : Electronics Phones have made them obsolete, though, so you can get them cheap.

GoPros are pretty sweet, but it's almost completely unusable for getting video of lifting. You can narrow the field of view with the higher end GoPro, but it's like $500 and it still distorts things pretty significantly.

I'm far from a camera expert, but a couple years ago I bought a Casio Exilim ZR700 off the bay brand new for $200.

It has a 25 mm lens, which is a nice wide-angle, and it has 18x optical zoom (so the 35 mm equivalent focal length ranges between 25 mm and 450 mm).

It shoots full HD, and can shoot at up to 1000 fps at the lowest resolution.

And it can snap photos in RAW.

I've used it in a few applications (lifting form checks, and a couple technical projects involving 1000 fps), and it's an incredibly reliable piece of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    Wider angle. Don't have to set up the camera on the other side of an adjacent rack just so you can capture the whole lift.

The one major downside, and what stopped me from getting one, is the distortion all the action cameras seem to have. it probably can be fixed, but at the cost of worse workflow.
    The former causes the latter. I am not sure what is out there for correcting lens distortion in video, but I can pretty much promise that not only are we well beyond the price range of the OP, we are well beyond the level of complexity that is appropriate for filming squats. Wide angle distortion correction doesn't even really work for still photos, it just makes various elements look weird differently than they did before. I would bet that the results for video are even less satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The former causes the latter. I am not sure what is out there for correcting lens distortion in video, but I can pretty much promise that not only are we well beyond the price range of the OP, we are well beyond the level of complexity that is appropriate for filming squats. Wide angle distortion correction doesn't even really work for still photos, it just makes various elements look weird differently than they did before. I would bet that the results for video are even less satisfying.
    Yeah, I know... Also, I realize this isn't terribly helpful to the OP, but this, just like strength programming spreadsheets, are near and dear to my heart.

I use a 64 gb ipod touch to film all of my lifts. I can set it up almost anywhere using a mini gorillapod with magnetic feet and a $6 rubber case does a surprisingly good job of protecting it from drops and bumps. 64 gb was good for nearly a year of gym video capture duties. It records in HD and I can view the video , zoom in, and go frame by frame right there in the gym immediately after each lift. And the video doesn't take up space on my phone. They're available used on amazon for less than $200.

Just about every point and shoot camera today does video and has more than enough quality for form videos. Most have reasonable zoom ranges, while phones have fixed focal lengths.

Just get a Canon Powershot Elph or something like that used on Craigslist. I see a ton of them near me for $50-75. I have an old one that I use. 32GB SD cards are cheap ($10).

If you work out in a commercial gym, there's also less chance someone will steal your old camera versus your newish cell phone.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Appreciate it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12