starting strength gym

Thread: 5 weeks post TKR

Default 5 weeks post TKR

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just had my left knee replaced as it was bone on bone filled with bone spurs. I am only 43 and this was due to sports. What I notice now is that my new left knee has made my left leg longer. My left thigh feels like an old mans. I want to go to the gym and just squat the bar. ROM will be limited but I need to get away from these PT exercises and do something fun but safe. Does having a leg longer cause any problems? I have searched threads but I have not seen anyone with this kind of surgery. What precautions should I take as well advice for me going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
    What I notice now is that my new left knee has made my left leg longer. My left thigh feels like an old mans.
    Hmmm... That is interesting. I haven't trained enough people with knee replacements to know if this is a normal consequence of knee replacement.

I want to go to the gym and just squat the bar. ROM will be limited but I need to get away from these PT exercises and do something fun but safe. Does having a leg longer cause any problems?
    It does. Fortunately, it is probably easily correctable. Get two pieces of scrap plywood, one at 1/2" thick and one at 3/4" thick. Cut them into 10"x12" squares. These are shims that you can put under the shorter leg to even you out. Fairly common thing, actually.

What precautions should I take as well advice for me going forward?
    The normal stuff. Be careful. Work toward full ROM before increasing load. Squat with good form. I recommend finding a Starting Strength Coach, too. Have them help you along the way. This is something where another pair of eyes coupled with useful cues will help you.

Well since there is bone on bone with my other knee the new knee is not collapsed. I think I gained some height. Yeah, I'll make a trip to the lumber yard today.

Leg length discrepancy is common status post knee replacement, but chances are that it will still change a bit until you are 1 year out from surgery...probably becoming less over this time as you continue to heal. I would agree that you should continue to work on ROM before loading the new joint. 5 weeks is still pretty recent from surgery...find a coach to help you through this process.

I started over on the program and it felt ok. I am not hitting the depth but I think that I can focus on my form. It was just 135 on my back but is is way more rewarding than doing quad sets. For insurance purposes I plan on havingthe other knee done in December.

starting strength coach development program
    Establish the range of motion before adding weight.