starting strength gym

Thread: Is it OK to ask for the gym to get plates

Default Is it OK to ask for the gym to get plates

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Coaches,

Given that some of you own gyms, i wanted your input. My gym is an xfit place that has changed owners/management a few times. Anywho, as all xfit places they focus on oly lifts and bumper plates (i think it is part of the xfit contract).

Anyway, i was lucky that not long after thy started, they realized that they needed 'competition' 55lb bumpers and that bought some time. However, loading anything above 540lbs is going to be impossible and that is not in the distant future for my deadlifts.

Is it reasonable for me to ask that they get some iron plates (that they'll deduct from taxes) or should I assume I will have to purchase them myself? (honestly i'd rather have purchased a bar with that money but here is where we are).

I ask because i don't want the new owners to think I am more a pain in the ass than it is worth and they'll rise my membership again.

Thank you!

I think it is entirely reasonable to have a discussion with the gym owners about getting some iron. Be respectful and potentially offer to help offset some of the cost. They'll either say yes or no. If they say no and you buy it, make sure that you make an arrangement with them so that you have priority use of the plates when you are training there. Ivanko OM series iron is actually 450 mm in diameter. It also fits on the bar properly. York Legacy iron also fits on the bar, but it is smaller than regulation diameter. It can be had for cheaper than the Ivanko if you can get a hold of the York rep. Those are probably your best bets for training plates. When you are ready for the full monty, the Rogue calibrated plates await. In fact, I just looked at the prices, you may want to take a good look at the Rogue calibrated plates. If you get them denominated in pounds, they cost the same or less as the Yorks purchased through Rogue, or the Ivankos purchased through Dumbbellbuddy.

I agree with Tom that it is a reasonable discussion to have with the owners because it adds to their gym. I think if you go through the trouble of getting some pricing done for them from various vendors and bring that to them then it will also help the discussion. Also do you know anyone else in the gym that would want to use them or chip in on the cost? if so then I'd have them with you when talk to the owners because then you're demonstrating the need for them to get them. Good luck!

Buy anything else from Rogue that they stock in-house, but not the York Legacy plates. They still ship from York anyway, but with exorbitant shipping rates. For example, shipped to GA from Rogue, 3 pairs of 45 pound plates are 842.40 shipped (499.50 + 342.90 shipping), whereas if you order then from Adamant Barbell, they'd be $580.50 (free shipping over $400). If you can get hold of a York rep, they'd be cheaper still.

Those Rogue calibrated lb plates are tempting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think it is entirely reasonable to have a discussion with the gym owners about getting some iron. Be respectful and potentially offer to help offset some of the cost. They'll either say yes or no. If they say no and you buy it, make sure that you make an arrangement with them so that you have priority use of the plates when you are training there. Ivanko OM series iron is actually 450 mm in diameter. It also fits on the bar properly. York Legacy iron also fits on the bar, but it is smaller than regulation diameter. It can be had for cheaper than the Ivanko if you can get a hold of the York rep. Those are probably your best bets for training plates. When you are ready for the full monty, the Rogue calibrated plates await. In fact, I just looked at the prices, you may want to take a good look at the Rogue calibrated plates. If you get them denominated in pounds, they cost the same or less as the Yorks purchased through Rogue, or the Ivankos purchased through Dumbbellbuddy.
    Thanks! Yep i've already looked at those, a pair of 55s is about 200. I assume my gym gets a discount so if they ask me to buy them I guess I'll ask them to do so and reinburse them for it. If you bring your own equipment here, you are the only one that is allowed to use it, so that is good given how most people abuse the equipment.

PS sorry for the quick typing making me miss some letters in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Also do you know anyone else in the gym that would want to use them or chip in on the cost? if so then I'd have them with you when talk to the owners because then you're demonstrating the need for them to get them. Good luck!
    The only person that i've seen properly deadlift (barely) 485 is a trainer, and he only cares about the xfit Oly stuff so no only I would use them. But I only plan on getting one pair of 55s until plates don't fit again anymore (this change allows for an extra 110-125 to be loaded, so it should last for a while.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    As a very-minority owner in a couple of (primarily rock climbing) gyms, I ask people all the time what they'd like to see in our weight room, and get us acting accordingly when presented with a good suggestion. Things I consider are, who's going to use it, what's the cost, how much space does it take up, and does it fit with our paradigm. So, by all means start a conversation.

As an aside, by far the #1 comment that came in on our survey last year was from able-bodied bros who wanted a leg press. Then decline bench was a distant second.