starting strength gym

Thread: Fall Classic Rules Question

Default Fall Classic Rules Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Regarding hand position listed in the Fall Classic Rules, Item 3 for the Squat, does this mean that the hands must not move from their position from the time the lifter stands up in the rack until the bar is re-racked or may a lifter adjust their hand position once the bar is unracked (if they need/want a wider hand position) but not during the actual up-and-down movement of the squat? Related to this, can they roll their hands during the re-rack if they feel they may pin a finger or part of the hand between the bar and the rack? I tend to have a wider hand position on the bar and, depending on the rack/stand I'm lifting from, I've had to adjust my hands after unracking and before re-racking in order to secure the bar and not mash a finger, respectively.

Thanks,

Jeff.

The rule in question here is as follows:

The bar must be held horizontally across the back with some part of both palms above the wrist in contact with the bar. This position, once fixed, cannot change during the attempt.
    It might benefit from a clarification since the attempt officially starts once the bar leaves the rack and finishes when the bar goes back into the rack. What we mean here is that your hands cannot move during the down-up portion of the squat. It is generally a bad idea to move your hands once you have unracked the bar, but if you are using equipment that necessitates that your move your hands as you step back, or step into the rack, that will not be cause to red light you. Several of the locations will be using adjustable combo racks that permit the stand arms to slant inward. This allows for a hands-at-the-collars grip, obviating this problem.

Tom, thanks for the clarification!