starting strength gym

Thread: training time question

Default training time question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I generally try and train when I feel the strongest, which for me is sometime in the late morning. I've been able to make that work with my schedule up until recently. I will have to start to train about an hour and a half after I wake up.

My question is: do you think that training earlier in the morning (for the average person) will cause a large detriment to my lifting, in terms of pounds on the bar or ability to use proper technique? I've never really tried lifting in the morning before for an extended period of time. Every time I do, it kinda sucks and things feel off, but I imagine that doing it regularly would allow me to get used to it. What do you think?

Thanks for your time

I think if it's important to you, you'll figure it out and make the work happen. Coffee will help.

Thanks. I'm confident I can keep showing up, I just don't want to not get as strong as I could if I train later in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    ...doing it regularly would allow me to get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Coffee will help.
    Both of these statements are very true for me. It sucked a little to get used to early morning sessions, but I did, and coffee definitely helps. Actually, coffee makes everything better, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

The only difference between muscle tissue in the AM and muscle tissue in the PM (and any other time) is the wakefulness of the lifter. That's about it.

I've been training at 5:30 am for the last three years due to work schedule. The only difference I noticed was based on meal schedules. Training on volume days feels harder while fasted from overnight sleep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
    I've been training at 5:30 am for the last three years due to work schedule. The only difference I noticed was based on meal schedules. Training on volume days feels harder while fasted from overnight sleep.
    Interesting. I don't think that skeletal muscle stores of glycogen deplete that quickly. I used to go do 4+ hour long track workouts (0700-1100 or later) on an empty stomach. Never really saw an issue. Hungry as a dog after, though.